Verizon SIM in T-Mobile Iphone 6 - WORKS

tommyleeh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
There probably aren't many out there that need to do this, but I can confirm that the T-Mobile unlocked iPhone 6 appears to operate just fine on the Verizon network.

All I did was put the Verizon SIM card from my old iPhone 5 into the 6, and presto, it worked!

I didn't think it would work because my understanding was the Verizon voice used CDMA, but I guess the settings must get transmitted with the SIM swap!

Enjoy.

tommyleeh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
Appears to be fully functioning - yes to all of those questions.

I realized after my post that there was already a thread devoted to this, so my apologies.

This makes the iPhone 6 a very versatile phone. Unlocked, it appears it can handle just about any network thrown at it.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2008
So which is the better phone to buy? The no contract T-Mobile version from Apple.com? Or the Verizon version at full price?

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
So is the verizon 6 and 6+ model still factory unlocked like it wad with the 5 and 5s?

I thought that was a function of verizon's use of the 700mhz LTE band

winterton

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2014
Yep. I think the two models are the same. I popped my Verizon SIM in while I wait for my TMobile one to arrive (ordered postpaid service online) and works perfectly on LTE.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Verizon SIM in T-Mobile Iphone 6 - WORKS

Interesting. So getting the no contract 6 thru apple should make it unlocked for gsm and Verizon

I wonder though it's because you already had an activated Verizon sim. Like if u try a new Verizon sim it might not activate

Last edited:

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2008
Interesting. So getting the no contract 6 thru apple should make it unlocked for gsm and Verizon

I wonder though it's because you already had an activated Verizon sim. Like if u try a new Verizon sim it might not activate
That's what I am wondering. I am thinking of buying an iPhone 6 from Best Buy, but the Verizon full-price version even though I only intend to ever put in is a T-Mobile SIM.

Eileen89

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2014
This is a good thing to know as I just purchased the T-Mobile unlocked iPhone 6 direct from Apple. So far I have only tested it with my AT&T sim which works great. I'll have to try it with a Verizon sim some time.

rui no onna

macrumors G3
Oct 25, 2013
SIM activation requires a whitelisted IMEI/MEID. This'll probably be similar to the situation with the iPad Air and rMini. If you have a working Verizon SIM, just pop it in and it'll work. If not, don't expect to get any help from Verizon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.