Verizon speeds

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cynics, Jan 13, 2012.

1. cynics macrumors G3

Cuious if anyone is having any 3G speed issues on Verizon today preferably near Baltimore or dc.

Here is my speed test from a few minutes ago. Note I had 3 - 4 bars and 3G when I tested I took the screen shot in a basement with no signal.

[​IMG]

I have a 4g tablet that's still pulling 25mb and when I switch that to CDMA only I still get 2-3mb.

Even the wifi test on there are slow in comparison to other devices I own.

I've tried to reboot the phone (home + power for 10 sec) that didn't help. I want to establish whether it's a network hiccup before I try resetting it.

What do you guys think? Faulty device? Bad network? Needs a reset?

2. Kblakeshot macrumors member

Unfortunately, you have a Verizon iPhone. This is the one drawback. I hate my data speeds. That looks normal to me.

3. Votekinky06 macrumors 6502

That looks pretty abysmal. I would call verizon to see if you may have been put on "Data Optimization".

4. cynics thread starter macrumors G3

I'm beginning to agree with that assessment.

What is different about this phone that gives me such poor data speeds? Right now I have the hotspot feature on my tablet on and connected via wifi just to use tapatalk. Is it just a poor radio design or software issue?

I have a friend with a 4 and he's on AT&T . He gets around 3mb down.

5. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Try a soft reset of your iPhone and see what happens then. If no change then try a Reset of the Network settings. If still no change then book a Genius appointment.

6. cynics thread starter macrumors G3

Dumb question but how do I reset the network settings?

7. murdoc158 macrumors regular

Those are pretty normal speeds for Verizon 3G. I have similar numbers with my 4S and got the same with my Android. AT&T was faster for me, but limited data coverage. I'd rather have slower data everywhere, than faster data 70% of the places I need it.

8. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Settings>General>Reset.

9. cynics thread starter macrumors G3

My tablet just speed tested on CDMA only at 3.5 mb. 26 with LTE on. Before I got the LTE upgrade I had amazing 3G speeds

10. speed4tu macrumors member

In eastern nc i just got 2.17 Mbps down and .81 Mbps up.

11. cynics thread starter macrumors G3

See they weren't always this bad.

[​IMG]

That's why I'm not sure if it's an outage

12. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Neither. It's the network. I get far better speeds than this on AT&T, consistently, and my iPhone 4S is internally identical to yours.

CMDA EVDO simply maxes out at lower speed than HSPA+.

That's on the low end for what I typically get.

[​IMG]

If it just started, then I would think you've been throttled by Verizon. Or, there could be a temporary network issue.

13. bibsybob macrumors newbie

I work in a highrise building in center city philadelphia and I get terrible speeds similar to the OP. As soon as I leave the building however, the speeds stabilize to something more normal, although not fast by any means.

14. antman2295 macrumors 6502

I don't know whats wrong with Verizon... I think we must have just gotten HSPA+, because I'm LOVING THE SPEEDS!

Attached Files:

15. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Except that screencap is of an AT&T iPhone, and all of those are in the realm of 3G, not even HSPA+ 14.4.

16. cynics thread starter macrumors G3

It won't be until I get home where I have a 3G only device but wouldn't a LTE device in CDMA only get the same speeds as my iPhone?

I know you can get different speeds with different devices depending on how good the radio software and hardware is. Didn't know how well apples radio ranked.

Is there a way to see radio strength in dbm on an iPhone?

17. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Mine is pretty good as well when I am not at home. At home, I have no 3G and the phone defaults to GPRS with the small circle. Otherwise, my speeds are right in line with what I get on my 3GS with AT&T.

The slow speeds on the bottom were at home.

Attached Files:

18. OlgaJ macrumors 6502

Try a different server. I once had a problem with a local Dallas server. When I switched to a different server the speed numbers were much better and more accurate.

19. cynics thread starter macrumors G3

Well it's already getting better....it's useable. Still Busch league speeds compared to you guys on other networks.

[​IMG]

I'm disappointed by something here. The fact my tablet gets better 3G speeds and wifi speeds points me toward apple. Then the fact people get the speeds I get on my tablet on their iPhones on other networks points me at Verizon.

I've always liked Verizon however I'm not really sure why.

20. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

The first photos shows that little O where the 3G should be, happens occasionally on mine, it appears you didn't have a 3G connection on that first one.

I never go by speed tests, I go by what I have and see. When I open a web page, it opens and renders nice and fast no matter how large. When I download a song or file, I never find myself frustrated by Verizon's speed....unless of course it hangs, and on the extremely rare occasion when I experience the hanging (3 times since last Feb) it shows that O.

Put down Verizon all you want, I have had nothing but solid service. My parents and a couple of friends are on AT&T, and we get drops at least 1 time in any given conversation....this never happens to anyone else I speak with on any other service.

21. cynics thread starter macrumors G3

I mentioned in my first post I tested with strong 3G signal but took the screen shot in a basement with no signal.

I have not put down Verizon either unless you compare the photos (facts) of Verizon service to what others posted. I even said I liked Verizon .... For reasons unknown.

The reason I started this thread is because nothing would load, Internet, tapatalk etc. Not because of low speed test.

I'm going to continue testing but if someone were to ask me my conclusion now I'd probably say that Verizon is good and the iPhone is good but not together.

22. bibsybob macrumors newbie

Screenshot of the speeds I get at work in center city philadelphia

Attached Files:

23. nycfly89 macrumors member

nycfly89

these are my speeds. im pretty disappointed, is this normal you say? im in the nyc area

Attached Files:

24. Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

My data is extremely slow today in the Pittsburgh area. Usually I get around 1.30 Mbps, ping is typically around 60 ms. Just ran 5 tests: None of which went past 0.15 Mbps (2 out of the 5 tests displayed 0 Mbps) with ping at 160 Ms. Obviously Verizon is experiencing data issues right now.

25. Votekinky06 macrumors 6502