Verizon store INSTALLED something suspicious on my phone??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Omacc, Sep 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Omacc macrumors member

I went into a verizon wireless store today to buy 2 cases. they included a screen protector and then gave me 30% off.

The lady asked if i wanted the screen protector installed on my phone and i said sure why not,

So she took the phone and said im going to go to the back because there is not as much "DUST" in there. and before i knew it she walked rite in the back. She was in the for about 7 mins, and when she came out she didn't have the screen protector on but Yet she was still "CLEANING" the iphone screen for dust.

Is there any chance she could or might of installed some spyware or something of that nature? if so , how can i check and see if she did? or check if anything was installed "Behind my back"

2. famous600 macrumors 6502a

famous600

spyware? Are you serious? If she did be happy. Then you can sue and become a partial owner of Verizon. :)

3. iMatt. macrumors 6502

If she installed anything, it would be on your home screen.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If its an iPhone, Verizon cannot do anything like that unless it is jailbroken.

5. Omacc, Sep 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2012

Omacc thread starter macrumors member

Is there anyway you can tell if anything was modified , i understand what you install goes on the home screen, but what if they installed something in the background where the average person won't notice or find it.

6. Omacc thread starter macrumors member

I understand, I DID have my pass so she couldn't of physically gone through the phone, but is it possible she might of hooked it up and installed something on it?

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If the device is an iPhone 4S or newer, it cannot be broken into if there is a passcode set. If it was the iPhone 4, it could have been broken into regardless of a passcode, but that is unlikely.

8. iMaven macrumors 6502

iMaven

If you think she installed anything on your phone, you can always reset the phone and start all over.

9. Mengels7 macrumors regular

10. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

Elaborate on the iPhone 4 security issue? I've never heard of that before.

11. Omacc thread starter macrumors member

how is that, just in case *

12. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

you have "X" amount of days for an exchange. trade colors, then do it again to get teh original color back.

do not ever hand your phone to anyone again.

13. Omacc thread starter macrumors member

I appreciate that, yet all apple stores iphone inventory is usually sold out already, so that would be some what of a problem

14. Omacc thread starter macrumors member

there's no pass code for connecting it to a computer..

15. physicsguy13, Sep 22, 2012

physicsguy13 macrumors 6502

physicsguy13

I would feel like she sucks at putting screen protectors on and ruined the one she tried putting on first. The Verizon people seem to think they are good at putting these on but most are not.

16. darngooddesign macrumors G3

People are having fun with you. There is nothing she could have installed on your phone. Relax and enjoy your phone.

17. bswanson1000, Sep 22, 2012

bswanson1000 macrumors newbie

OP, if you are concerned, I'd recommend just doing a system restore while your device is plugged into iTunes on a PC that you personally own. Just know that there was a 0% chance Verizon installed anything on your phone and is tracking you.

18. Captainobvvious macrumors 6502

She could have installed anything but it would be on your home screen. If the device were jailbroken then she COULD have installed something but there is no jailbreak available for the new iPhone.

You're fine.

19. fastblack macrumors regular

20. Omacc, Sep 22, 2012

Omacc thread starter macrumors member

thank you , much appreciated.

21. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The iPhone 4's baseband is exploitable by use of the limera1n exploit. A user could put the device in DFU mode, connect it to a computer, exploit it with limera1n, and upload a SSH ramdisk. From the SSH ramdisk, the user could mount the iPhone's file system and copy/modify any and all data. For more information, Google "iPhone SSH ramdisk".

When connecting to a new computer, iOS will not permit the computer access to anything other then iTunes being told "this is a passcode locked iPhone". Once you enter your passcode, the computer is put into an allowed list and the passcode is no longer required. Example: You let your iPhone lock itself do that it requires a passcode. Plug it into a computer that has never been used with that iPhone. You will not be able to do anything expect click OK in an iTunes dialog stating it has detected a locked iPhone. You will kr be able to access the Camera Roll or any other personal information of any kind.

22. DrDomVonDoom macrumors 6502

DrDomVonDoom

Its not a security flaw of a the iPhone 4 its simply wasn't a feature.

Basically the passcode creates a encryption on the device, it can't be broken unless you know the passcode, she would have to brute force it and enter all numbers from 0000-9999 to find the passcode, unless you put the 10 guess limit on, which I would suggest,

The encryption is baked into the hardware of the phone, so one cannot simply rip a copy of the phones memory and try to encrypt it later, it doesn't work that way. Its pretty ingenius, and has been praised. Unfortunatly, most people use a 4 number passcode instead of creating a larger alphanumeric passcode, which exponentially makes the passwords harder to crack with every extra letter or number you enter as a passcode. 4 numbers is ineed weak, so if you do use numbers, use the guess limit feature.

23. Omacc thread starter macrumors member

good looking out to those who helped with their input.

Answer received.

24. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It is a security flaw. One the Apple can never fix as well. The encryption is pointless if a SSH ramdisk is used because the file system is mounted through the encryption engine and once done it can be DD'ed off the device for browsing at a later time.

25. mackid1993 macrumors member

If you are really worried, do a DFU mode restore. That wipes everything. Just back everything up manually.

See my write up's here and here. Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.