Carrier Verizon: to start with new Edge program, turn in existing phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bugeyeblue, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Bugeyeblue macrumors 6502a

Bugeyeblue

Am I correct in saying that you have to turn in your existing verizon phone to get started on the new edge program? Or can you order a new phone and keep your original phone if this is your first edge phone?

2. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

The way i understand it, when starting the program you just sighn up for it no "trade in" nedded.

From the verizon website.

"Participation in Verizon Edge program based on credit check. $0 down for qualified customers. Some customers will be required to make down payment. Total down payment cannot exceed 60% of device's full price"

3. reverberlayed macrumors regular

I just finished an online chat with a rep and she confirmed you don't have to trade in current device to start Edge.

I thought I read somewhere a few months ago that if you were previously on contract and within 1 year of your contract end date then you could trade in and start Edge. The rep however said you can keep current device when just starting Edge.

4. Bugeyeblue thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bugeyeblue

Awesome, thanks so much for clarifying!

5. Cryates macrumors 65816

This the exact way it works. If you are not bound to a 2-year contract and are eligible for upgrade then you do not have to turn your existing device in. If you are currently within 1-year of your 2-year contract expiring you can upgrade via Edge early, however you must turn in your current device as they are allowing you to forgo the remainder of your original contract agreement to purchase a phone early.

6. jason2811 macrumors 6502a

Question- I am currently under the EDGE plan and I've paid more than 50% so I'm eligible for an upgrade. I am currently on the Verizon Maxx 6GB plan. I would like to upgrade to a regular 2-year agreement with an iPhone 6 rather than doing EDGE again. Basically give in my current phone and then sign a 2-year agreement. Is that possible?

7. tdar macrumors 6502a

I believe you have to pay off your edge account and then can sign a 2 year. You would get to keep the phone in that case, so could apply it's value towards paying off the edge contract.

----------

You know when I was in the store yesterday setting this up, they might have wanted to mention this to me. I doubt I'll give them a iPhone 5 to get 13 days of contract grace considering I'll still be a customer paying over $150 a month for 1 line.

8. tdar macrumors 6502a

One other note I just learned about. Verizon has a trade in program for former iPhone customers this time where they will pay you $200 for a 4,4S,or 5 and $300 for a 5s. You are not eligible if you are early edging or edging up.

So I'm going to wait the 13 days for my contract to expire and get $200 for an old iPhone 4. I don't have my phone on launch day but I do get $200!:)

9. Bugeyeblue thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bugeyeblue

This is really important... And has been mentioned here already, but... Early edge and new edge are very different in one sense. Early edge, you have to turn in your old phone and it has to be, by their definition, in good working condition. If it's not- $300 back to you. New edge plans - no old device turn in required. This is the biggest caveat to this whole thing that took me a while to figure out.

I'm going to verizon tonight to make sure they will note my account to having a phone that is eligible for early edge with no charge back to me. This way, If the sorting facility decides they want to charge me, verizon has to cover it.

10. OSK9261 macrumors member

13 year customer with Verizon and rep just told me I don't qualify for Edge? What are the requirements for edge?

Currently:
    12gb share plan
    4 lines
    1 hotspot

11. Cryates macrumors 65816

With new Edge, if you are still under your 2-year contract and have less than a year left then you absolutely do have to turn in your existing device, even if said device was not purchased via the Edge program. If you are new Edge and your contract has already expired then you keep the existing device you own.

----------

Not true at all

http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/faqs/Equipment/vz-edge.html

12. gabo864 macrumors 6502a

gabo864

I am not sure if someone else already answered your question (don't have time to read every comment), but I work for Best Buy Mobile so I deal with this every day.

if you want to do Edge, but you are still under contract you DO need to send back your old phone.

it has to be in good working conditions (no cracked screen). They will give you 14 days to mail it. If your phone is not mail back to Verizon within 14 days or if the phone is in no working conditions (cracked screen or water damage) they will charge you $200 on your next Verizon Bill.

13. jason2811 macrumors 6502a

Thanks, what about the opposite situation. I am currently under the EDGE plan and I've paid more than 50% so I'm eligible for an upgrade. I am currently on the Verizon Maxx 6GB plan. I would like to upgrade to a regular 2-year agreement with an iPhone 6 rather than doing EDGE again. Basically give in my current phone and then sign a 2-year agreement. Is that possible?

14. gabo864 macrumors 6502a

gabo864

When you say more than 50% does that put you close to 60%? Because you have to pay 60% of the device in order to upgrade. After that you just pay for the new phone and sign the two year contract. Remember there will be an upgrade fee with the 2 year contract as well.

15. jason2811 macrumors 6502a

I did edge prior to June 2014 so I'm only required to pay 50% before I can Edge Up. Are you saying I can now turn in my current phone and then sign a 2-year agreement with a new phone?

16. reverberlayed macrumors regular

I thought I read that before. I placed my preorder and it didn't say I had to trade in my device. We shall see when I receive it. Also worth noting that what you quoted says it's a promo until 7/31/14 as well, so there is a lack of concrete information.

17. fjfjfjfj macrumors regular

I think there is one caveat, if you are currently on a two-year contract and near the end of your contract term, you can upgrade early to Edge without sending in your old phone. My 2 year contract expires on October 26 but I was able to upgrade this morning online by changing to the Edge program but don't have to send in my old phone. Maybe if you are closer to the end of your contract you don't have to send in your old phone when changing to Edge.

18. morrison22 macrumors member

morrison22

This is what I am questioning too. My 2 YR Contract expires on 9-23-15 so on 9-23-14 (1 YR into contract) will I be eligible to Start a new EARLY EDGE on my esisting individual line so I can TRADE IN/UPGRADE my existing iPhone 5s to an iPhone 6 Plus? Some Verizon reps say the promotion is over as of 7-31-14 as indicated on the Edge FAQ yet others say its still going on when I speak to them on the phone. Which is it? And how/when will I be notified of my eligibilty. Thank You.

19. reverberlayed macrumors regular

Maybe that's it. Mine was November.

20. aajeevlin macrumors 6502a

Thanks, this is exactly what I'm looking for. I want to do early EDGE, but I also want to keep the phone, since I've also promise a relative that I'll give them my phone. Do you know if the $200 is a standard fee or does it very? I won't mind taking a $200 hit, but if it's more than that, I might have to reconsider. Thanks.

21. gabo864 macrumors 6502a

gabo864

It's $200 it is a standard fee. Now there is also a way around this! And if you want let me call our Verizon Rep and confirm this. But one time I had a customer that had a cracked screen n their phone and a Verizon rep told them to just put on old phone on their line and then send that one back. I asked how this is possible and they told me you don't actually have to send the original phone that you got when you upgraded, you just have to send the one you have on the line when you do edge.

So if you have an old phone lying around ur house, then you can put it on your line and then upgrade and you will be required to send the old phone and keep the one you are gonna give your relative.

22. aajeevlin macrumors 6502a

Awesome, and thanks for the tip. I guess I"ll have to look around to see if I can find an old CDMA phone around the house.

23. jediuia macrumors regular

You have to qualify on a credit check I believe. I almost signed up, but shy-ed away at all the legal docs you have to sign, it was like buying a car. I just like paying for the phone, easier.

----------

That is a horrible deal, as you paid for the phone originally. Really bad if you paid full price. Unless.... you send them your old flip phone, does it have to be a 1 year old smartphone?

24. aajeevlin macrumors 6502a

Well if you paid for the phone with full price in the first place, I'd hope you didn't lock yourself in a contract. Most of the people probably got their phone at a subsidize price anyways. I did the math on the EDGE program, you would actually come out with $30-40 extra after two year when you do EDGE vs. standard 2-years contract.

Let's assume the data plan is the same, so we don't factor that into the math.

With EDGE on the current iPhone 6:
    Line access fee is: 40-25(advantage of EDGE) = $15
    Monthly iphone 6 payment: $32.49
    2-years total: (15+32.49)*24 = $1139

With standard 2-years contract:
    iPhone 6 (lowest model): $199+tax ~ $210-220
    Monthly access fee: $40
    Upgrade fee(one time): $30
    2-years total: (40*24)+210+30 = $1200

So overall not a lot of saving but at least you will not be paying more comparing to the standard 2-years plan. I hope I didn't miss anything, haha.

25. aajeevlin macrumors 6502a

I'm really glad I got this answer from you. I spoke to two VZW rep, the first one was super nice, but has absolutely know idea what I'm asking. Kept on insisting that I would have to pay $350 if I don't trade-in the phone if I do early EDGE from my 2-years contract. I had to tell her thanks and gave up.

The second one, said the same thing at first then I told her to check again. Came back in less then 5 second, told me that I was correct that if I don't trade-in I would only have to pay up to $200. I can't help but to wonder if they purposely don't tell you the truth just to scare you off.....

Also, quick question. The old phone trick you speak of, does it have to be a old smartphone or can it simply be a dumb phone? Thanks.