Verizon "Transfer Upgrade"?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by black743, Sep 13, 2012.

1. black743 macrumors 6502

On my verizon account, there is a button that will let me transfer an upgrade from one line to another. For those of you who ordered the 4S, wasn't this possible for the preorder as well? I don't see why they would change things just for the iPhone. To me, having to order a phone on another line, then take it to a store and them having to give me a new sim....just seems like more work on everyone's part.

Can't I just swap upgrades and order the thing on the line I want???

2. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

First of all, you have a CDMA. So you could order from that line and do the swap straight from home. No need to go in store to get a sim (GSM only). As far as your question goes, yes you should be able to transfer the upgrade for the iPhone 5 preorder. I tried it back when iPhone 4 came out, but the system was having issues, so i just ordered it from the line it was on and swapped to mine when i got it.

3. black743 thread starter macrumors 6502

Pretty sure it will have a sim because it's 4G and they kept telling me about a sim card.

4. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

It will have a SIM and I have heard different things, I have heard they can flash your SIM over the phone now, which I am hoping but I am not sure. I am going to go to a Verizon store in a couple days and try to get a clear answer as to what I am going to have to do.

5. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Yes, but the GSM functionality is only for international use. You could take it out and it will still stay connected to Verizon network. You do not need to do any sim swapping with Verizon iPhones.

6. black743 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well if the transfer upgrade button is still there then it won't be an issue. I just transfer the upgrade to my line and order from there. Not sure why they would remove it and cause themselves more work and hassle...

7. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

That's not true. When I gave my thunderbolt to my sister she had to go get a new SIM since the phone uses the SIM for the LTE, not just international. But like I said I heard they can flash SIMs over the air now.

8. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Well, the iPhone 4S did not have LTE, but it did come with a sim for international use. And we're talking about Apple iPhone 5, not android HTC. Keynote stated that it comes with a single LTE chip. So, i dont expect an LTE sim for verizon iPhone 5

9. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

Right cause it was an international phone. We will see but I wouldn't be surprised if it comes with a SIM.

10. bidwalj macrumors 6502a

The iPad 3 uses a sim for lte. I'm pretty sure the 5 will require it too

11. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

LTE is a GSM technology that requires a sim card. You will have a sim, even on Verizon.

12. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Really? I guess i must be mistaken then.

13. Jtludwig macrumors 6502

Yes, obviously you are.