Verizon tried to lower my bill when I called to cancel...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rebirth, Oct 16, 2013.

1. rebirth, Oct 16, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2013

rebirth macrumors newbie

All,

Just wanted to let you know that I contacted Verizon today to cancel my plan. I told them I was going with T-Mobile because they had unbeatable price for a much better value proposition. The person I talked to was really nice and tried everything she could to retain me (I was shocked because I was not expecting that from Verizon). I was on a $100 shared plan ($40 for phone and $60 for 2gb) and she said, I can offer you the same service for $60 included everything (phone + 2gb). I asked her what plan was it and she replied it's not advertised yet but that's a plan that is coming up. I ended up going with T-Mobile anyway since I did not care to pay for the early termination fee and I wanted to be out of contract, but I find it quite interesting I was offered this from Verizon. Now, maybe the person I talked to did not know what she was talking about but she seemed to be very knowledgeable to me.
    Thought I'll share this with you guys, maybe it can help some of you.
    Regardless, T-Mobile has a far better offering today, unless you live in a small town in the middle of nowhere T-Mobile has come a long way.
    I see a lot of people still criticizing T-Mo coverage but I think these people might criticize based on early experiences before John Legere era.

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

How would we know? Thats probably a better question for Verizon. Not that they would give you an answer until it was announced in a press release.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Verizon lowering their prices? Yeah right.
    They always go the other way like raising prices and finding more "innovative " ways to nickel and dime their customers.

4. rebirth thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry my topic is confusing. It's not really a question I'm asking to any of you, I'm just sharing my experience with customer service because if they offered me this option, I'm sure they could offer it to other people...

5. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

It's not uncommon for them to offer a reduced rate in order to retain you. That being said a cheaper plan would be nice. Not that I'm on Verizon anymore though. Never signing a 2 year contract again.

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Well, it's very rare for Verizon to offer anything to try to retain customers. This must be a recent development. Before, they rested on their laurels and if people wanted to leave, well, good luck to them. The belief was they would all come crawling back. Clearly that mindset appears to be changing.

However, if they're following the typical retention model, what you were offered isn't something they're ever going to advertise. Retention/cancellation departments typically have a small number of discounted plans that are intended specifically to keep customers that the carrier finds profitable. These plans then only get offered when these high-value customers threaten to leave.

7. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

My iPhone 4S (or 4s as it is called nowadays) went out of contract the other day. I ditched AT&T and gave T-Mobile a try (the $30 unlimited data/text pre-paid plan... unbelievable deal).

The coverage is a ton better than I expected. I even get 4G a majority of the time in my area -- I thought I'd be stuck with EDGE most of the time because of the different bands.

8. 7thson macrumors 6502a

7thson

Frankly, this doesn't surprise me. US Cellular tried something similar with me when I called to cancel. They didn't sweeten the pot anywhere near like the offer you got, though. I have to say, I feels kind of good to see hear them squirm.

9. CEmajr macrumors 601

It's possible they might be offering something lower in the future. Along with a lack of any decent data plans, I'm highly disappointed that Verizon (and now AT&T as well) no longer offer any individual rate plans. The cheapest share plan with a reasonable amount of data is $100.

T-Mobile did gain 1.1 million subscribers last quarter (more than all 3 other carriers combined) so maybe Verizon will do something competitive for a change.

10. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

My DSL company did that when I called to cancel because I had already ordered a cable modem. I could've sworn the lady said I would get two free months before it then canceled. But then about four months later, I kept getting billed. So now I hate Windstream for charging me $150 for crap I didn't use. The hilarious part is when I called to CANCEL THE HELL OUT OF IT, I swear I got some similar pitch about a deal to stay with them. I was so furious that my brain wasn't able to remember specifics.

So nice job, Windstream. Your whole policy like this caused me to be happier with Comcast. Yes, big ol' Comcast. This is why when I found out we had switched providers at work to Windstream, you could hear a WHAT THE EFF? all the way to Abu Dhabi.

It's like these companies think making it hard as hell to cancel is going to win them customers. You cannot find a link on Verizon's site to cancel online. But you can find a link to do any damn thing to keep paying Verizon money. I have no doubt that AT&T is the same. Thankfully with porting my number to AT&T, that cancels my account with Verizon, so I hopefully won't have to jump through these sales pitch hoops.

11. joeshmo2010 macrumors 6502a

I don't think any company would want to make it easy for you to cancel online. They want their customers to stay with them... That's the point...

12. Diseal3, Oct 17, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2013

Diseal3 macrumors 65816

I'd call back and try to get the Plan code. Or post this on howardforums see if a rep there has it in their system to better share with all of us. Would be interesting if true.

Edit: Apparently the plan does exist. The plan is $60 plus taxes and fees and includes unlimited talk/text and 2GB of data. Whether or not you have to sign a new two year agreement to get the plan I don't know. If someone has more information feel free to add this this.

13. taedouni macrumors 65816

At least it isn't as hard as canceling a gym membership. Freaken LA Fitness wants me to mail them a form...that I didn't fill out (their system filled it out).

Thankfully 24 Hour Fitness isn't a hassle.

14. Dominicanyor macrumors 6502a

Dominicanyor

Lol

15. E2EK1EL macrumors 6502

Welcome to Canada in 2008-2012

Our retention plans use to be $35-$45 with almost the same specs, 3 year contract and 24 months hardware upgrade policy.

250 Talk + Free Evenings & Weekends @ 6pm, Unlimited Text and 6GB of Data on our nation's fastest network.

That's all gone now. :(

To really lower the price plans for all your nation's carriers, everyone has to threaten to cancel to take advantage of these retention plans or jump ship to T-Mobile.

"Competition is healthy for every business"

PS:
    Current Rogers Canada LTE-A Speeds on a Galaxy Note 3 and iPhone 5

Attached Files:

16. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

Verizon lowered my plan as well to 2 GB data, unlimited txt, 450 minutes talk for $60.00 but that was for what they call the loyalty plan for those that have been with them for a while.

17. aneftp macrumors 601

Honestly people on single line post paid plans are ripped off most in the USA.

Family lines according to verizon last investor report was about $50/line of revenue. Which is about the same or cheaper than what tmobile USA charges and that's not inclided the subsidies verizon gets.

So yes single lines are worst for verizon in terms of being ripped off. But those with 4-5 lines with Verizon are getting decent value.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

When I left VZW to ATT a few years ago, they also tried to retain me with lower prices and other incentives. This is not a new phenomenon. Funny thing is, after being with ATT for 2 years, I opted to return to big red :) In my case coverage was superior with VZW.

19. EbookReader macrumors 65816

T-Mobile doesn't charge $50/line for family plan.

Try $25 per line.

[Carrier] T-Mobile Family Plan: unlimited talk, text, data* on all 4 lines for $100 a month

20. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Most carriers will offer you incentives to keep your business.:rolleyes:

21. aneftp macrumors 601

22. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 68000

Did you give up unlimited data for that plan :confused:

23. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

I was too late in the game for me to have Unlimited data with my first Smartphone. Single standard plan for me. Sorry

24. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

This is very true. Look who their CEO is and their board lol.

25. skimcpip macrumors regular

Lengthy thread about this offer.

http://slickdeals.net/f/6317812-2gb...equired-for-new-and-current-customers?page=47