Carrier Verizon trying to take customers away from AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ag29, Oct 31, 2014.

1. ag29 macrumors 6502

Looks like Verizon has a much better deal than AT&T If you're on one of the 10GB plans (and weren't one of the lucky few to get it doubled to 20GB for free)

On Verizon, you now get 15GB for the same price as 10GB and if you want to keep your 10GB plan, you get a $20 discount.

Plus if you port your number from AT&T and sign up for Verizon Edge or a 2 year contact, you get a $150 credit.

Sounds like a really good deal from Verizon, I can't wait to see what AT&T's response will be!

2. wxman2003 Suspended

AT&T improved single line plans today. 3 GB and unlimited talk and text for $65. Verizon offers the 1 GB plan for $60.

3. ag29 thread starter macrumors 6502

You get a subsidized phone with the $60 Verizon plan. With AT&T you have to go on the Next plan or pay full price.

4. 1981d macrumors regular

5. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Is this on their website anywhere? I am going to try and call AT&T retentions and tell them about this, see what they say. I wouldn't mind either an extra 5GB or a $20 discount. I think I'd prefer the latter, but I wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Also, in regards to porting, is that per line or is it for the entire account. If it's per line then that's $600 for our account = leverage.

6. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

So I am not finding any of this by searching on Verizon's site. Links would be appreciated. :)

7. McDaddio macrumors 6502a

Do you actually have to get a different phone or is just a SIM card switch?

It is a little hard to tell from their site.

8. iMi macrumors 6502a

iMi

I just switched to T-mobile and absolutely love it. Anyone living in metropolitan area and or traveling to Europe frequently should seriously consider it.

9. NewVZcustomer macrumors member

http://www.verizonwireless.com/news/article/2014/10/more-data-and-port-in-credits-for-verizon-customers.html?null

10. iMi macrumors 6502a

iMi

I would guess you'd have to get a new phone. They use different networks. I know you can move a phone from AT&T to T-mobile as they are both GSM networks. Verizon and Sprint can swap phones, too. I think. Both are CDMA networks. LTE networks are all GSM based, I think... not sure. So, I guess at some point all carriers should be interchangeable.

Take this with a grain of salt. I'm only sharing what I know (or think I know) :)

11. deeddawg macrumors 604

Times are changing. No hardware difference between Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T, Sprint iPhone 6's. The only reason you can't use an unlocked AT&T or TMO iphone6 on Verizon is that Verizon doesn't want you to and won't whitelist the IMEI. It's a policy thing, not a hardware thing. As for Sprint, they're the odd ones out. Different baseband software on Sprint I'm told, and some stupid locking stuff, so you're stuck if you want to use a Sprint phone on a different US carrier.

For the other stuff -- great to see Verizon doing some competing. Good for the customers. Moot point though since their service is poor at home.

12. ag29 thread starter macrumors 6502

^Sprint does not allow their phones to be used on other networks in the US. They are permanently locked to Sprint and there is no way to unlock them for any other carrier domestically, although an international unlock is possible. Also Sprint does not allow any phones from other networks to be used on theirs. They completely block them off.

13. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

thank you!

14. McDaddio macrumors 6502a

so given all that, it is difficult to switch from say, AT&T to Verizon.

You have to sell your phone and hope that you can get a new iPhone 6 plus from Verizon fast enough?

15. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

You do have to sell your phones (not terribly hard), but they are giving you $150 per line to lessen the blow. As far as hoping for a 6, I guess? Not everyone will need or want the newest device. If you are that person, sure that's a pain (right now).

16. davewolfs macrumors regular

ATT has gone completely downhill. ATT was charging 80 for single line while Verizon charges 60. 2GB for both.

If you go with Next you pay 65 with ATT but get no phone subsidy. I basically save $600 over 24 months by switching to Verizon. The service is better. VOLTE rocks and my phone is unlocked. ATT won't unlock your phone anymore unless you own it.

The 2GB deal with Verizon might have been a promotion so if it's not posted on their website people should call to see if it's still available.

As for T mobile their service is also good in metropolitan areas and their wifi calling is absolutely flawless.

17. ag29 thread starter macrumors 6502

^Also just thought I'd put in mind if you call Verizon they'll give you an extra 1GB for free for a year.

So in a sense you get subsidized phones which will save you $550 ($299 iPhone 6 plus 64gb subsidized vs $849 6 plus 64gb full price) and you also save $5 per month since your plan is $60 compared to AT&T's $65 plan.

And if you're an android fan and you pay full price for phones, the Note 4 on Verizon is $699.99 compared to 825.99 on AT&T so that's significant savings right there as well.

If you have AT&T, however, do not switch to Verizon until you hear AT&T's response, because you don't want to be screwed over if AT&T ends up having a better deal than Verizon.

----------

It's $150 per line up to a total of $600

http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/consumer/shop/shop-data-plans/more-everything.html

18. Dewfang macrumors member

Thanks for the info! I was worried about going over my 10gig data plan until I read this went to my verizon app and upgraded to 15gig for the same price...

19. JakeT85 macrumors regular

JakeT85

This is actually not completely accurate anymore. I recently moved from verizon to at&t. I had payed off my att iphone 6 so they would unlock it and I could sell it for a little more. I went ahead and ordered my new verizon iphone 6 thinking things were the same as always when switching. After my att unlock request went through I popped my verizon sim in just messing around and the verizon network activated on the at&t iphone 6 I had. Unfortunately the phone had already sold so I had to ship it, otherwise I would have returned the verizon one and just kept the original phone I had. I started reading up on it and turns out that verizon will activate on any unlocked iphone 6. The catch is that you have to already ha ve an activated 4g lte sim card. They won't give you one if you go to a store with a phone that isn't registered on their network.

20. sau124 macrumors member

At the end it is all good for the consumer...

21. davewolfs macrumors regular

Just a quick comparison over a 24 month period for single lines.

Verizon 2GB + iPhone 6
    $299 for iPhone 6 + $60/month = $1739

AT&T Contract 2GB + iPhone 6
    $299 for iPhone 6 + $80/month = $2219

AT&T Next 2GB + iPhone 6
    $750 for iPhone 6 + $65/month = $2310

I definitely will have the 6 for 2 years. If anything, I'll outright buy a bigger phone and switch between the two on the next release.

22. deeddawg macrumors 604

Yes, I've seen the posts about this, but I held to the more conservative position as I wouldn't want to steer someone wrong. I suspect that someone newly coming to Verizon may find it difficult to obtain an activated, properly provisioned SIM. More due to idiocy at the carrier than any technical reason.

For example a buddy picked up a full price TMobile iphone6 from the Apple Store. Didn't realize he needed a nano SIM instead of the micro SIM from his 4S. He went to ATT corporate store yesterday. Even the manager swore up and down that there were no unlocked iPhones being sold and they refused to give him a nano SIM even for him to later activate via 611 CS.

He went to the Apple Store, got a new ATT nano SIM, went home, called CS and was up and running in short order. He has that managers card and will be letting ATT corporate know of the idiocy in the field.

23. dickdaney macrumors regular

Right now I'm on AT&T 10GB with two paid off unsubsidized phones

$100-21 (21% Discount) +$15+15 = $109+ tax

Verizon is looking like this

$80-16 (20% discount) + $40 + $40 = $144 + Tax
    One time $150/line for switching - $300 total
    New phones at $299 each - $598 total (2 iPhone 6's 64GB)

Net I end up paying 35 more per month and $298 up front for the phones.

If Verizon would stop being greedy and offer the $25/line discount for bring you on phone. I would probably switch back. I'm using a Verizon iPhone 5 and a 5S that was original bought from Verizon. So both my phones can switch back with no problem.

24. davewolfs macrumors regular

$150 to switch?

25. chrfr macrumors 603

Verizon is $75/month for 2GB, or $60/month on the Edge plan. The 2GB for $60 promotion ended about 2 weeks ago.
    So on AT&T you can get 3GB for $80 with a subsidized phone, or $65 on their equivalent of Edge, or if you buy your phone outright.