Carrier Verizon Unlimited Data customers, are you buying full retail or are you leaving VZW??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jgu3r1n, Sep 19, 2014.

1. jgu3r1n macrumors newbie

Verizon Unlimited Data customers, are you buying full retail or are you leaving VZW?? Please post below.

I know soon Unlimited Data might be a thing of the past for all service providers, but I am tired of having to pay full retail to hold on to my unlimited data longer. Kind of thinking I might switch to Sprint from what I hear they have been getting better coverage in my area which is NYC and LI.

Are you guys still buying your phones at full-price? Or are you thinking of switching services as well?

2. gbuc95 macrumors member

I bought mine at full retail. I will keep unlimited as long as possible and if Verizon takes it away I will take my unlocked Iphone 6 to At&t.

3. jgu3r1n thread starter macrumors newbie

For sure, I bought my old iPhone 5s at full price. Really contemplating this purchase. Also didn't know you could bring an unlocked iPhone from Verizon to AT&T cause of a mismatch of signal CDMA vs GSM??

4. Dmaynard83 macrumors 6502a

Dmaynard83

Can't you still transfer the upgrade to another line and in affect keep your unlimited and stay on a 2 year contract?

That's what I did last year for my 5s.

5. jgu3r1n thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope they did away with that awhile ago, I could of probably of done that for my 5S but I traded in my 4S towards it cause I didn't have any upgrades on either of my two lines. SMH Verizon and Big business so thirsty for $$$.
    They should of just made unlimited data more expensive that way only elite people could afford it, instead of doing away with it.

6. 3rdiguy macrumors 6502a

3rdiguy

I'm leaving to tmobile where my Bill will be cheaper,I wi still have unlimited data and I can upgrade each year. Deposit kinda high but I wil save $360 a year

7. legioxi macrumors 6502a

Until there is an unlimited hotspot feature on another carrier, I won't be switching.

8. mactumors macrumors 6502

There are still loopholes. I used my sister's upgrade this morning. I still have unlimited data.

9. Indy2424 macrumors member

I left Verizon and went to Sprint. The prices Verizon is charging per GB is crazy expensive.

10. Kendo macrumors 68000

Don't go to Sprint. My wife has Sprint and we live in NYC and she is constantly on a 3G connection. Even though she has unlimited LTE, she can't even utilize it due to the poor signal. To give you an example, she averages 1.1GB data a month. Why? Because her connection is so bad that her bandwith is limited.

I have unlimited with AT&T and constantly on LTE speed and thus average 3GB per month. And I'm the "light" user between the two of us.

11. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

I just added a new unlimited data line got contract pricing then sold the new unlimited data line so got the phone for free

12. jmxp69 macrumors 6502

5 lines at upgrade time got prohibitively expensive and would take a LOOONG time to recoup. At $30-$40/month extra I just swallowed it and switched to a share plan a couple years ago. In fact, I would have never recovered it with unlimited data and a two year upgrade cycle for 5 phones.

I asked my family (kids wife) to be judicious with things like Youtube and music streaming while on LTE, we started with an 8GB plan and have never gone over. I'm thinking of knocking it down to 6GB which puts my pre/post rate close to on par.

Net for me: I may pay a little bit more, but I don't have to game the system and move stuff around when upgrades come. I just get what I want when I want because I spread activations around throughout the year and always have an upgrade handy. And where I live/travel, Verizon can't be beat for coverage or speed. As much as I rely on my phone, I'm willing to pay more and happily let VZ profit more as long as my service remains high quality like it has for years.

PS Same with Apple: I could get more tech for less money, but the overall quality doesn't equate, so I stick with Apple and pay the piper.

13. taedouni macrumors 65816

I paid full price for my 6+ but Apple wasnt able to confirm my eligibility with Verizon so my order got delayed mid day Thursday. Makes me want to say screw Verizon

14. SonRK macrumors 6502

Full Retail. I got the 5S last year at a subsidized price because of the error and I kept my unlimited data.

So selling my iPhone 5s actually nets me more than I spent. Not like I was leaving Verizon anytime soon, as long as I can get their good service/LTE speeds.

Granted...it really depends on October 1st if I stay once my additional year is up. I hit about 5.5-7.5GB a month with my unlimited data. The throttling better not be severe

15. cnotes2019 Suspended

Did you add an UDP line via Apple .com for verizon?

16. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

Yes

17. DrakeMcEachern macrumors 6502

18. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

Please let me know how you did this assuming you didn't pay full retail.

19. DrakeMcEachern macrumors 6502

Upgraded my line through Apple.com. When the phone came in, I tossed the SIM card that came with the new phone before I turned the phone on. Took the SIM from my old phone (5c) and put it in the new phone. Turned the new phone on.

20. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

I left. Got tired of playing the game. We only averaged around 6GB's a month between the two of us so we weren't really benefiting from it. We left and went to AT&T. I really wanted a hotspot so went with the 30GB double plan. We decided late so won't be getting the phones for another month or so. Just glad Verizon decided not to throttle unlimited so I have more value when I sell the lines.

21. Polo2883 macrumors regular

Paid full price for a 6 and 6+.

I am going to keep unlimited data for as long as possible. Went through about 9gb alone last month. My wife went through 4gb.

We pay $10 a month for unlimited data.

22. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

Going to be paying full retail for an iPhone 6+, once I can find one. :rolleyes:

23. DrakeMcEachern macrumors 6502

So many ways to upgrade and keep unlimited! Save your money ;)

24. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

Does that ACTUALLY work? I have heard mixed feedback on this.

25. epphllps macrumors 6502

Works just fine. I did it myself. Huge thread over at slickdeals about it.