Verizon Unlimited Data Hotspot Options

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jmack549, Feb 20, 2012.

1. jmack549 macrumors 6502

I have unlimited data on my Verizon iPhone, and I'm wondering what my options are for tethering. I can only find the ability to change to a tiered plan, which I'm not willing to do. Seems strange that I'm willing to pay for hotspot but it doesn't seem to want me to, what gives?

2. Johnny Steps macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

I doubt you're looking for this option, but just jailbreak your iPhone and use Tetherme or MyWi.

3. jmack549 thread starter macrumors 6502

That's what I'm doing now. Trying to go legitimate but they won't let me.

4. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

there was an app on the app store that allowed it as kind of a hidden feature, not sure if it still exists anymore though:confused:

5. Johnny Steps macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

Well don't risk losing Unlimited for that. Just don't abuse the hotspot and I think you'll be fine.

6. jmack549 thread starter macrumors 6502

It's called QuasiDisk and I have it. Still, I'd rather be legitimate.

7. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

Not sure why anyone would want to be legitimately paying for tethering with a CDMA (slow data) network that will more then likely cap you at 5gb (I know Sprint does this..not sure about VzN)

8. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Cause not everyone is dishonest. It's very well known that it's against the TOS of all carriers. If the op wants to pay for it, what concern is it of yours?

I'm with you op. I have unlimited but I don't want to tether with it. I would imagine you could call and they could work something out for you. Otherwise they will try to sell you a 4g hotspot. D'oh!

9. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

You can add 2 GB of separate tethering and still keep your unlimited data on Verizon call them they are not like AT&T less vile but vile all the same

10. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

Oh you want to go that rout huh?

Cause cell phone company's arn't already overcharging for their plans, heck only in US can you not using a feature built into the iphone for wifi tethering...

heck you are already paying a fee for unlimited data, why should you have to pay another $30+ fee just to outsource your data elsewhere.

you say its being dishonest, I say its getting what features come with our phone to begin with!

/rant

11. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

The thing that makes me laugh is in the US AT&T's/Verizon's 3G Speeds (Obviously EVDO is slow anyway) are crap from personal experience. They offer crap/overpriced data plans to make things worse.

In the UK on 3 you can get practically truly unlimited everything (Including data with no speed or data caps) for 35 USD and my average download speed is between 5mb/s to 8mb/s. This includes tethering! T-Mobile/Everything Everywhere UK are now doing something similar.

All our networks apart from Tesco Mobile (Some Orange plans as well) let you use your up your normal data plan for tethering now as well.

God you guys get ripped off.

12. Johnny Steps macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

They also won't let us use our unlocked phones around. (Like Unlocked iPhone 4S from Apple can't be used with CMDA carriers)

Btw AT&T isn't slow, at least not in my area.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Tell me about it.
    We get charged an arm and a leg and tied up into a 2 year contract. And every now and then our carriers find better ways to nickel and dime us like take away texting packages and only offer unlimited or nothing and other nonsense like no tethering with unlimited data or unlimited cellphone data with 2GB cap and after that throttling etc..
    Sprint and Verizon is CDMA 3G. AT&T uses GSM 3G and HSPA+ coverage so its not that bad but prices are up there compared to the rest of the world.

14. redbear1958 macrumors newbie

I have a Thunderbolt 4g and I have unlimited data plan on it. You have to go into a Verizon store to get the tether added. You do not get capped at 5 gig. If you try to do it online you will be forced to change your plan

15. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

You speak of "handy light"...carriers can tell you use this, don't ask me how

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, and those apps usually dissapear within minutes or hours from itunes once the word gets out.
    So most likelly he wont be able to download it.

17. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Because if you aren't paying for it, it's the same as stealing...

18. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

see my post after that one :rolleyes:

19. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Are they charging a lot? Yes. That doesn;t mean it is yours to take the way you want it. It is made clear that this is for unlimited data for your actual phone, and nothing else, in your contract. I feel the macbook pro base model should be the price of the pimped out top end model. Does it mean I should have it for that price? No.

The way to show your disgust is not to simply "do what you want". That's how we quickly go slapped with data cpas, throttling, you name it.

I know everything I said here is unpopular. Unfortunately, it's also correct.

20. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

correct because you say so?

your opionion is just that, and so is mine!

21. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Correct because it's in the contract... that is nobody's opinion. THat is fact. Sorry.

22. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

Verizon has a "4g hotspot" plan, it's $30.00 and is unlimited. Also if you add the plan it will move your data to $30.00 unlimited even if it is not like that now.

23. aneftp macrumors 68040

Unlimited $29.99 smartphone plus LTE phones gives u $30 unlimited 4G LTE mobile hotspot. As long as its "fair use" whatever that means is awesome.

I have galaxy nexus LTE and used the 4 G hotspot for a month and it can replace my cable Internet should i want to.

Verizon does not throttle LTE users. They will throttle 3G users but when in LTE area you are good to go.

Unfortunately iPhone 3G with Veizon only had 2GB add on options for $20.

24. jmack549 thread starter macrumors 6502

Right, but my iPhone is 3G. I'm also already on the unlimited data plan, so that's not really necessary.