Verizon, Unlimited Data, New iPhone?

JasonR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
So I have a Verizon iPhone 4S with the grandfathered unlimited data. I also noticed that Verizon announced its data sharing plans.

Does anyone know if I will be able to keep my unlimited data plan if I buy a 4G device (be it the new iPhone or an Android phone) if I pay full retail (IE non subsidized price) for the phone?

I can see myself using 4G/LTE quite a bit, and using quite a bit of data when tethering (with a jailbroken device, or whatever if Verizon doesn't allow it).

Anyone have any insight on this?

Last edited:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
So I have a Verizon iPhone 4S with the grandfathered unlimited data. I also noticed that Verizon announced its data sharing plans.

Does anyone know if I will be able to keep my unlimited data plan if I buy a 4G device (be it the new iPhone or an Android phone) if I pay full retail (IE non subsidized price) for the phone?

I can see myself using 4G/LTE quite a bit, and using quite a bit of data when tethering (with a jailbroken device, or whatever if Verizon doesn't allow it).

Any have any insight on this?
I'm pretty sure for verizon to keep unlimited you have to buy a phone at the full retail price (which you posted :)...not sure if they will let you use 4G LTE though, or if they would keep you on the 3G plan.

nburwell

macrumors 601
May 6, 2008
DE
As long as you pay full price on the phone, you will be able to keep your unlimited data. It's when you buy a subsidized phone where you will lose your unlimited data. However, if you're going to a LTE phone, your data may change. It's best to check with VZW on this.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)

Anyone have any insight on this?
Here's the skinny over on The Verge

The above posts are correct BTW.

-Will