Verizon unlimited data plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by skywalkerr69, Sep 14, 2012.

1. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

Good Morning All,

I have been with verizon since 1996 and have had the unlimited data plan since they started it. Now i am told i have to upgrade to the "share everything plan" or how i call it the "screw everyone plan" and get a tiered data plan. Anyone know how to circumvent this? My guess is just arguing till they give in.

2. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

3. dd293g macrumors newbie

Look at how much data you actually use in a month...I too lost the unlimited data but dont even use 1gb of data a month so not really missing out on anything.

4. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

I'm gonna suck it up and pay full price. I need ny unlimited. I use between 3-4 GB A month. To my knowledge that is the only way.

5. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

I use 15 to 20 gigs a month so buying it outright was the only way to go

6. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

Do not give up your unlimited data! You will regret it. The only way to keep it is to buy your phone full price from now on. You will save much more on data overages by keeping unl data than you would save from the phone subsidy

7. skywalkerr69 thread starter macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

I am hearing that if you argue in the store they give it to you. I am going to ask my friend who is a store manager for verizon.

8. iTalk macrumors member

I was able to use a family member's upgrade to order it at subsidized pricing and will switch phones after activation to keep my existing plan with unlimited data. If you have a friend or family member who is eligible for an upgrade, you might be in luck. It doesn't have to be someone on the same account. Hope this helps...

9. JGC1986 macrumors regular

JGC1986

Will 4G use more data? That is why I am worried about losing my unlimited data. :(

Currently I use around 1GB a month on 3G.

10. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I just used a friends upgrade so i pay 199 then activate it on my account and keep my unlimited.

11. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

This.

In theory, it shouldn't. A 1mb email is a 1mb email regardless of 3g 4g android/iphone, BUT....

...with the faster speeds, you may find yourself using your phone in ways that you don't currently use it which would consume more data.

so in theory... no, it (4g that is...) should not "use more data" however in practice, the user utilizing 4G (you) may find more ways to consume data.

Look at it this way... put yourself on a 2GB plan. even if you DOUBLE your current consumption, you'll be fine.

12. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

Wow. They ever contact you or send you alerts?

13. spacebetween macrumors regular

That's what a friend of mine did. Quick question though... we've been told by three Reps that it wouldn't be a problem for him to just activate the phone on his brother-in-law's account (the one who had an upgrade available) and then immediately deactivate the phone and then swap it over to his Unlimited Data account.

One Rep said that his brother-in-law needed to keep the phone activated for at least 14 days before swapping it out and even then there was no guarantee that it wouldn't force him off Unlimited.

Anyone know how long you have to actually keep the phone activated before swapping it out???

14. iTalk macrumors member

Apologize for the late reply. The rep who processed my order told me that we could do it the same day - no 14 day waiting period. The data charge ($30) will be pro-rated starting the day you activate the iphone on the other person's account, so I'd recommend getting it deactivated the same day and have them go back to the dumb plan w/o data

15. spacebetween macrumors regular

Thanks. Yeah, I got it clarified from another Rep who basically said you can activate/deactivate in as little as five minutes. He said the other person who said 14 days was mistaken and must have gotten it confused with users having 14 days to activate a phone.