Verizon Unlimited Data Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jbg232, Sep 15, 2012.

1. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

I have an iPhone 4 on Verizon with unlimited data and I just pre-ordered an iPhone 5 (set to be delivered 9/21) at full price to keep the unlimited data. My question relates to my two year contract obligations and upgrade promotions in the future. Currently my contract on my iPhone 4 is set to expire on October 4.

Questions:
    1. After October 4 will I still be able to buy a phone (iPhone 5S or anything else) for subsidized pricing if I wish to? (obviously losing my unlimited data if I do so)

2. Am I still under contract from Verizon for a new 2 year contract after October 4 if I buy the iPhone 5 now at full price?

Thanks.

2. Dmaynard83 macrumors 6502a

Dmaynard83

1: You will still be able to upgrade to 5S (removing your unlimited data plan)

2: I'm not sure on this one but I think you won't be under contract as you bought the i5 full price.

3. xFiGGiE macrumors member

To answer your question, no. Any phone you buy out of pocket for a non-subsidized price means you are contract free and can cancel anytime without penalty. The reason you are locked into a 2-year contract when you upgrade a new phone is because Verizon is giving you a phone for a subsidized price, which in turn they recoup their money lost on the phone by making you pay for monthly service or an ETF if you decide to cancel early.