Verizon unlimited question (cust service are idiots)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bossyman, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Bossyman macrumors member

I've gotten 3 different answers from the completely lame customer service reps at Verizon.

I currently have 4 phones. Two iphone 4S phones and 2 dumb phones. I have unlimited data package. My upgrades are on my 2 iPhone 4Ss only.

Can't I switch my upgrades to my dumb phones? Buy the iPhone 5 for both lines and activate them with my grandfathered unlimited plan?

Then, switch both iPhone 5 numbers (which were the dumb phone numbers) to my 4S numbers?

Then swap out the iPhone 4S phones back to the dumb phones?

So ultimately, I'll have 2 iPhone 5s and still two dumb phones and still have my unlimited plan? Has anyone done this yet? Any help or advice would truly be appreciated.

2. mac.cali macrumors 65816

Nope. You can't touch the unlimited data upgrades, even if your transferring the upgrade.

3. Bossyman thread starter macrumors member

4. phillyphill macrumors 6502

phillyphill

Yeah just as he said since the upgrade is on the unlimited lines you will lose it. Even if you transfer it. I tried to see and it told me I would. So I had to use another lines upgrade.

5. mac.cali macrumors 65816

You can, but you CAN'T use the upgrade from the unlimited data line. You can use the upgrade from dumb line but not the unlimited data line.

6. Plainsman macrumors newbie

I talked to a VZW rep on Wednesday about upgrading my wife's phone from a dumbphone to the iPhone 5 and changing out my Bionic with the iP5 while keeping my unlimited data plan. She said the dumbphone can be upgraded to the iP5 without it affecting my data plan. I would have to buy the iP5 for my line to keep the unlimited data plan. She said to tell the VZW rep who makes the plan adjustment to use "code UN" when you buy the phone. That will keep the unlimited data plan untouched.

7. Bossyman thread starter macrumors member

I'm soooooo confused. So then, I CAN switch upgrade from iPhone 4S to my dumb phone. Then, buy iPhone 5, keep unlimited. Then switch iPhone 5 to the original 4S number? All while keeping unlimited plan?

8. JustOneQuickONe macrumors 6502

I tried this same method, here is what I have come to understand. Customer reps, yes most are incapable of comprehending what we want to do and why we want to keep unlimited. I spoke to many over the phone then decided I'd just do the instant chat on the site so that I could take my time in explaining and have it in writing.

Here's what happened. I talked to the rep online, explained what I wanted to do. He led me step by step through the order process to make sure it went ok. I ended up transferring my upgrade on my iP4 to my dumb phone line. Then upgrading my dumb phone to the iP5 w 2Gb of data. I asked multiple times to make sure this wouldn't affect my unlimited data plan, I was assured it wouldn't. I then got the confirmation and it says my upgrade was on my iP4 line... Not the dumb phone line. I went on the My Verizon page and it shows the samething under the upgrade eligibility page. It seems that even though transferring the upgrad allows the dumb phone to be upgraded it will still be linked to the iP4 account and therefore you lose the unlimited. Luckily I have it in writing so I can try to use that when the phone comes, but I doubt I'll have any luck.

9. Bossyman thread starter macrumors member

So at this point, it may or may NOT have worked for you. Please, please post when you receive your iPhone 5 and let us know if you were able to keep unlimited. Thanks. :)

10. mac.cali macrumors 65816

You guys are jumping alot of hurdles to get this upgraded. Why not just pay the retail price of the phone? That why you know for sure that you can keep your unlimited data? As much as I would love to do this upgrade, I'm walking the fine line by using a different line for an upgrade. Verizon has stated publicly and in writing that you can keep the unlimited data if you purchase at retail price. This is straight from Verizon's site. Seems like such a risk to take because you know you can't get back the unlimited data once it's gone.

"You're not required to switch to a Share Everything Plan, but if you do, you won't be able to keep your unlimited data package. When you upgrade, you can choose from a voice plan with a standalone data package or a Share Everything Plan. If you want to keep unlimited data, you have the option to pay full retail price for a new phone."

11. Cozmo85 macrumors regular

I verified with a rep this is normal and everything will sort out when it ships. Just make sure you activate the phone on the dumb phone line first. Then swap the dumb phone back to that line and get a sim from verizon for your line.

12. tdar, Sep 16, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012

tdar macrumors 6502a

Except that won't work either. As soon as when your contract ends, Verizon can ( and I say will as we go on ) remove your unlimited and force you to a capped data plan because you now have no contract to protect you. If in the future you try to get such a contract, one with unlimited is not available. The simple fact is this: by the end of 2014 they will eliminate unlimited.

13. mac.cali macrumors 65816

Excellant point. However that's just speculation and not fact! The fact of the matter they clearly state to purchase at retail price and not a transfer.

14. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

Yes you can upgrade your non smart phones then swap them. That's not to say they won't take the plan away eventually if too many people do it.

15. mac.cali macrumors 65816

I can see them doing this at some point.

16. tdar macrumors 6502a

Your right it's not fact. But take it from someone who has has his unlimited status changed 3 times in the past 20 months, it's where they are going. And their CFO said so:

"LTE is our anchor point for data share. So as you come through an upgrade cycle and you upgrade in the future, you will have to go onto a data share plan. And moving away from, if you will, the unlimited world and moving everyone into a tiered structure/data share type plan.

So when you think about our 3G base, a lot of our 3G base is unlimited. As they start migrating to 4G they will have to come off of unlimited and go into the data share plan. And that’s beneficial for us for many reason, obviously."

17. JustOneQuickONe macrumors 6502

I sure hope that's the case. I won't be able to let you all know how it turns out until October though, I wasn't about to get up super early to order.

18. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

That talks about everyone on unlimited 3g buying subsidized and upgrading to unlimited 4g.

1. It does not mention people who already have unlimited 4g plans
    2. People not using subsidized upgrades and bringing or buying your own phone without discount.

What they are planning on is people wanting to upgrade at discount to get them off of UDPs.

My friend has had his UDP account off contract since last year and they have not taken it. If they were to all of a sudden strip everyone of the grandfathered data plan at the same time would cause a huge outburst and I am sure that they do not want that negative PR.

19. pragmatous macrumors 65816

If you subsidize any phone you lose your unlimited plan as far as I know.

20. tdar macrumors 6502a

Oh I think your wrong about the outburst. They are weening UDP people one at a time. How many do you think they will get in the next week as we see upgrades to iP5? The key word in the quote I posted to me is "everyone". Focus on the first part of the quote. Around the same time as this was said, the CEO of ATT said that he wished they had never offered UDP's. Guess what I'd do if I read that my CEO said that?

I would love to be wrong but I don't think the major carriers will allow UDP to survive.
    We have a duopoly: ATT only worries about VZ and VZ only worries about ATT. They have publicly signaled to each other where they want to go.

21. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

Yeah gets them mre money those greedy ****s

22. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I've had excellent experiences with Verizon customer service.

Friendly, informed & helpful.

23. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

It's pretty simple folks. You can't touch the subsidy on your unlimited lines, end of story. You can't upgrade using it and you can't transfer it to another line . Use it in any way and you will lose your unlimited. Only trick is to upgrade another line and then move the phone to your unlimited line.

24. hondaivtec2007 macrumors newbie

You CAN transfer your upgrade from smartphone to dumb phone for the iPhone 5 Once you receive the phone and activate it on the dumb phone line you will switch contracts between the 2 phones now you can take the iPhone 5 witch is active on your dumb phone line and deactivate it and activate it on your current unlimited data line to keep it. It's just that simple you will need a new sim though. Once the phone is activated Verizon does not care what you do with the phone. I know for a 100% this works. I WOULD BET MONEY ON IT. It must be activated first on dumb phone line. That's what renews the contract. No worries

25. Cozmo85 macrumors regular

Transferring it will change your udp to 2gb when the phone is activated on the other account.