Verizon Unlimited something to think about

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by skywalkerr69, Sep 21, 2012.

1. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

Good Morning Mac Rumors Team,

I purchased the iPhone 4 from Verizon with my existing unlimited data plan. As most of you been stressed out about what I call is the "screw everyone plan" That being said I am planning to buy the iPhone 5 at full retail price. Here is my dilemma though. Since my existing contract ends in February 2013, Verizon has no legal obligation to me nor do I to them. At any time next year they can force me into the 'screw everyone plan' because I have no legal obligation to them. I am no lawyer nor do the reps I called confirm nor deny this. So if they do decide to do that, I would have spent $800+ on a phone for unlimited for a few months. So I am going with the screw everyone plan 4gb for $110 + tax. I have been with them since 1996 and since Sprint has horrid 4G service, I have to stay with big red. I am sure their executive team had a meeting that panned out how to screw their most loyal customers and make it sound nice. Here is a way! Let’s share!! The only thing I’ll be sharing with Verizon is my wallet.

2. misterjuiceman macrumors newbie

You could always use your contract renewal upgrade to purchase the cheapest phone they have, and then just put it in a drawer somewhere, then I think you should have another two years with unlimited.

3. skywalkerr69 thread starter macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

Na, once you use the upgrade you're into the screw everyone plan. I bet they paid lawyers millions to draw up these contracts.

4. b24pgg macrumors 65816

Are you sure about this? As long as you don't buy a subsidized device and sign a new contract, your current contract should remain in effect indefinitely. I'm pretty sure Verizon can't just change it.

5. skywalkerr69 thread starter macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

The contract ends so they don't have any obligation. I called a few times but reps don't know much lol.

6. sectime macrumors 6502a

If you really have been with Verizon that long then you should know that Verizon has never forced clients to move to another plan unless you upgrade. You would just switch to month to month when your contract is up.

7. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

your 2 year contract is up, but you will be on a month to month contract and Verizon will not change that. You will be OK.

8. tdar macrumors 6502a

9. misterjuiceman macrumors newbie

I thought that you had to use your upgrade on a 4G phone in order to be forced into the new plan, but that 3G phones don't force you on the shared data plan.

10. tmoney468 macrumors 6502

They can't force you into a new contract if you're month to month as far as I know. I'm month to month now and don't plan on giving up my unlimited data anytime soon. In fact, I plan on using LTE as much as possible just to give verizon the middle finger for doing away with it in the first place.

11. tdar macrumors 6502a

A M to M contract is just that a contract that renews each month. Next month VZ can offer new terms, it's up to you to accept or not, they have NO obligation.

12. tmoney468 macrumors 6502

Then they can offer new terms and then I'll leave them. Simple as that

13. skywalkerr69 thread starter macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

Me too but my point is don't waste the $800 on something they can change at will. Just get the screw everyone plan. That is what I am going to have to do. At least until Sprint gets their 4G networks going.

14. tmoney468 macrumors 6502

Worse comes to worse, I'll just sell the phone for a good chunk of that $800 and then buy a subsidized one on AT&T.