Verizon upgrade at full retail

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rbf1138, Sep 4, 2014.

1. rbf1138 macrumors 6502

I've been off contract with Verizon since 2012. When I got the 5 on launch day via online preorder I was able to choose to pay full retail for it (I still have unlimited data and want to keep it).

I'm not sure how the 5S launch went, but is the current thinking that if I want the 6 at launch, on Verizon, at full retail, I'll be able to preorder it? Will it be easier to do that via Apple or Verizon? I'm worried I'll get stuck having to use my subsidized upgrade which I really do not want to do.

2. Rud3Bwoy Suspended

Rud3Bwoy

id try both but personally verizon apple seems to crash more aka there website during pre orders

3. jkel777 macrumors 6502a

I'm on AT&T, but when I checked upgrade eligibility for one of my lines on Apple's website (a line that I knew was upgrade eligible), it only allowed me to select the subsidized price. The option for buying it at full retail wasn't there. Not sure if it's the same for Verizon.

4. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

Can't buy the device-only Verizon iPhone online. You have to buy it in-store, whether at Apple or Verizon.

If it's AT&T, you could just buy the SIM-free (GSM-only) model and put your current SIM in. That's provided you have a nano SIM, of course. Otherwise you'd just go to an AT&T store and get a new one.

5. jkel777 macrumors 6502a

I don't think Apple sells the unlocked, SIM-free version at launch; they usually have it for sale a month or so later.

6. rbf1138 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not asking about the unlocked version, the Verizon phone off contract is the same as a Verizon phone on-contract as there's no SIM on CDMA.

7. Cryates macrumors 65816

Verizon LTE phones do require a SIM.

8. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

this is correct. LTE phones have sim cards on all carriers

9. techishi macrumors member

From what others have said, I think that the option when buying through Apple (online or in the app) will opt to give you the subsidized pricing and falls back to retail if you're on contract.

As what was said above, if you are already off contract but do not want to renew your contract (pay the subsidized price), you probably have to go to the actual store ( Verizon or Apple ) to do that. However, just to add, I've heard that actual corporate Verizon retail stores don't like selling full price phones since they don't get commission or something like that. So in this case, the Apple Store would be the way to go.

Another option is to pre-order online with Verizon, you should be able to filter the phone selection by contract type ( full price ) and choose the iPhone you want.

-My first two points are speculation, I would like some further information on this subject as well since I'll be in this situation next year.

10. I7guy macrumors G5

I went to the apple store to buy a verizon device only 5s. I think that's the safest way. Go home after the sale, call verizon and tell them you want to do an equipment swap. Easy peasy.

11. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

You don't have to call them just take your old sim card out and put it in your new phone and you are cooking with gas

12. mac.cali macrumors 65816

You can purchase full retail via Verizon's website. Apple doesn't allow this on their website. They always give you the lowest price.

13. I7guy macrumors G5

They need to attach the imei to the account I believe. I don't t think that is automatic.

14. mac.cali macrumors 65816

No need to call. Swap sims and done. You can even view the new device online as it will read the imei number.

15. I7guy macrumors G5

Cool, thanks for the info...didn't know that.

16. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

Yes, with Verizon's LTE devices, the SIM card functions the same way GSM phones do (AT&T/ TMobile)

17. rbf1138 thread starter macrumors 6502

So I'm planning on taking Sept. 19 off work anyway, but if I go into a verizon store after the announcement is it likely I'll be able to preorder a phone for in store pickup at launch? Any experiences with this sort of thing?

18. fieldsphotos macrumors 6502

I am also off contract with VZW (for my unlimited data). Last year I had to order the 5s via the Verizon website. It took some hoops to get there, as you could only add the off-contract phone to your account in one way. But it did work. You could NOT order from Apple.com - it would only sell me a subsidized phone.

I have mixed experiences with VZW corporate stores and full price phones even well after a launch. One locally (several months after launch) was very insistant that I couldn't buy a full price phone for my husband and that I needed to do the Edge thing (losing my data). However a small town corporate store was glad to let me buy a full price phone when mine was stolen on a trip a few months ago and didn't even try to sell me a contract or Edge. (I don't live near an Apple Store, so I have to deal mostly with VZW stores for iphones - we have never had an issue at an Apple store when we have bought them there)

19. mac.cali macrumors 65816

Another option would be to add a line of service to your account. Wait 14 days then cancel the line and pay the eft. You can do this from apples website. Often times, paying the eft is cheaper than going full retail option.

20. I7guy macrumors G5

I bought my 5s as a verizon device only phone from the apple store. No issues. I did wait three months though before taking the plunge. After the hoopla dies down from the next iPhone I'll see what's up.

21. ttbhg macrumors newbie

I plan to buy a iPhone 6 at full price but I currently have an iPhone 4 still under contract that doesn't have a sim. Can I still buy a 6 full price from the Apple store and just call Verizon and have them switch the phone?

22. I7guy macrumors G5

Short answer is yes. That is what I did coming from a blackberry.

23. rbf1138 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow. So basically when preorders go up I login to Verizon or Apple, choose to add a line to my plan, choose the iPhone 6, pay the 200 or 300 subsidized price.

I then get the new iphone, call Verizon and have them put the 6 on my current line and my old 5 on the new line. Then after 14 days I cancel the new line, pay the $350 ETF, and in total I'll have paid $650 max (if the 32gb is $300)?

Can anyone confirm this would work? Would adding a new line mess with my unlimited data plan at all?

24. ttbhg macrumors newbie

Will the new 6 come with a SIM card since my 4 doesn't have one? Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

25. I7guy macrumors G5

You can bet it will have a SIM just like the 5S. VZW customer service asked the right questions and the phone was switched in about 10 minutes including voice mail. The rep. said it was a great phone and there was absolutely no "monkey business" (if you know what I mean) on Verizon's part.