Verizon upgrade dates moved up?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by haddman, Aug 21, 2012.

1. haddman macrumors regular

Any chance that Verizon will bump up any upgrade eligibility dates prior to the iP5 release?? I'm not due until 5 December, and I bought the 4S last year at full price, so if they don't bump me up I'll wait the 2 months. This is actually the second iPhone I've bought at full price, I also did this with the 3Gs. My 4S is actually almost brand new, as apple just replaced it for having a faulty dock connector. I plan to give it to my wife to replace her iP4, and then I should have an upgrade eligible due every year between 1 of my 2 lines with each new iPhone release! So she get's a practically brand new phone as will I :D:D

2. irDigital0l Guest

umm...ask them?

2 months is not likely though...maybe if it was a week

3. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

many people on here have had different experience based on whom they talk to and how long they have been a customer. Best bet, call them yourself :)

4. pblakk macrumors member

They will not move your upgrade date for the iPhone, this is a well talked about topic... they have contractual agreements with Apple. This is why a lot of Verizon store reps push Androids also. This seems to be certain with Verizon, although with ATT for instance, I have zero experience.

5. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Sorry to hijack the thread... I'm not eligible for an upgrade until december, and I would really like not to wait that long. Can I get the phone by using an upgrade on a corporate account to get the subsidized price and then just activate the phone for my number?

6. chadrob30 macrumors 6502

chadrob30

I literally just got a phone call from Best Buy, whom I bought my iPhone 4S from at release. They left a voicemail stating that I was now able to upgrade. I checked on their website and it shows that I am fully upgradable now, even though my contract isn't up til December 18. Does this mean on the 21st of September (if that's the real release date) I will be able to get the iPhone 5 at the upgrade price?

Attached Files:

7. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Sorry, but why ask use here ? Shouldn't you be calling the Carrier instead and get a definitive answer ? :confused:

8. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I was in touch with Verizon Customer Service. I was told that part of the agreement with Apple stipulated that Verizon NOT move up upgrade dates.

My upgrade date is 10/7, and I asked if my upgrade date could be moved up a week or two, and was told it could not be done because of the contract with Apple. I called two more time to see if I could get a more flexible Customer Service Rep, and they all said the same thing.

They also said there was no problem moving up the upgrade dates for other phones (e.g.Android phones), but they were very firm that Apple insisted that the only way they would allow Verizon to market iPhones is if they accepted the stipulation that upgrade dates not be moved up.

Sorry for the bad news...:(

9. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Why not ask here? If someone here had done it before, that would answer my question. Why spend time on the phone/hold with Verizon customer service if I can find my answer from someone here?

10. irDigital0l Guest

Because people have different experiences.

Why not actually ask them for his/her own personal situation?

11. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I'm more or less trying to take a phone from another account and use it on mine.

1. Pay for the phone with the subsidized price on corporate account
    2. deactivate phone
    3. activate phone on my own account

I don't see why it can't be done, but just making sure.

12. pblakk macrumors member

They can report to you all of the account info you have with them, but a front line CS rep would need higher approval for any changes anyway, after a thorough supervisory review. This was always the case for the upgrade changes I've had with Verizon, of course none of them any iPhone.

13. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

The customer rep did consult with a supervisor. Unfortunately, the same answer...the deal with Apple precludes moving up upgrade dates for any new release iPhones.:(

14. jekjones1558 macrumors 6502

Well it sounds like the Verizon salesperson I spoke with today was just blowing smoke. My upgrade date is Oct. 10 and we leave on vacation Oct. 9. He said he thought I could get a 1 week early upgrade. I guess it won't be the end of the world if I don't get my iPhone 5 until I get home. <sigh>

15. pblakk macrumors member

Bummer... but yeah he doesn't know what he's talking about.

16. jekjones1558 macrumors 6502

I don't get it. Obviously I am dense where retail economics is concerned. If it is Verizon that is subsidizing the cost of the iPhone hardware, why does Apple preclude moving up upgrade dates? It seems like Apple gets its $$$ earlier and it is Verizon that "loses" contract revenue with earlier upgrades. As I say, I realize I am a marketing dunce.

17. haddman thread starter macrumors regular

Interesting, I'll have to try this. I bought my original Verizon iP4s at Best Buy.

----------

wasn't sure about VZW. Does AT&T still move dates up? I remember with them it seemed like I was eligible with every new iPhone!

18. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

My upgrade is still 6/18/2013, and I bought my phone pretty much the week it was available last fall. So that's already moved up about three months from two years. I doubt you'll get any slack unless you spend a ton of money with Verzion. I've only been a customer since last year, so I doubt I'm in line for a discount. Not that I'm looking to upgrade yet anyway.

19. haddman thread starter macrumors regular

I bet if we tell them we are switching to AT&T they might change their tune!

20. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Because Verizon is the source to go by, not someone here that may or may not know 100%. You have to go to the source anyway don't you ? ;)

21. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

So using that logic, don't ask anyone here about an Apple product because Apple customer service is the source.

22. groupersandwich macrumors 6502

Apple doesn't prevent them from moving upgrade dates, that's just the company line from VZW. The iPhone costs carriers more per unit than Android phones thus they, particularly Big Red, are more restrictive on when they will let you upgrade to one. Apple couldn't care less how many times someone upgrades as long as they get their money. VZW on the other hand...