Carrier Verizon upgrade extra line and switch sim

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by StevenS2k5, Sep 14, 2013.

1. StevenS2k5 macrumors newbie

Hello all

I have a quick question about upgrading a dumb phone on Verizon and switching my sim into the new, subsidized phone. I'm a long time Android user and have done this many times at the Verizon store. However, I am wondering if it is possible to do this at the Apple store. I ask because places like Best Buy or Amazon have in the fine print if the phone isn't used on the original line number for 181 days (or something close to that) you have to pay the full price for the phone. Verizon does not have this rule but I cannot find anywhere about Apples rules. Since this will be my first iPhone, I thought it would be cool to pick it up in the Apple store opposed to the Verizon store.

2. marsmissions macrumors 6502

marsmissions

To activate the phone on a line it wasn't purchased with you will need to call verizon and they will walk you through the process. You have to accept the contract terms prior to activation and then the tech will proceed with activating the phone on the line it wasn't bought for.

3. cnotes2019 macrumors 65816

Are you sure that best buy has those rules. I thought that BB Costco and Verizon were the places that didn't have such rules in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

4. StevenS2k5 thread starter macrumors newbie

You are right. I think amazon is the only place that has those rules. I haven't checked in a few months.

I thought if I cut my micro sim to nano sim (I own a cutting cool) that I could just pop it in after the phone has been activated on the extra line for about a day?
    Thanks for the input, I just want to be clear on what I need to do come Friday

5. bkribbs macrumors 65816

I have the same question, but what if I'm ordering online? Will it come with a sim or will I have to go down to Verizon and get one? I have a regular for my android but its a separate line.

6. StevenS2k5 thread starter macrumors newbie

When I ordered my first LTE phone it came with a SIM card. If you are upgrading a phone that doesn't already use a SIM card, then it will come with one.

I am curious to know why it is faster to call Verizon to have them switch the phone than to just swap my SIM. Also, should I call VZW ahead of time to set this up or wait until I've got the phone upgraded on my extra line? I am one of the two account holders and have authority to make changes to my account so it shouldn't be a problem whatever I have to do.

7. StevenS2k5 thread starter macrumors newbie

I would also like to add that I am aware that I need to call VZW customer service to downgrade the new smartphone line back to a dumb phone since they do not let you do that manually most of the time. But is there a need to call them other than for that reason in my situation.

Sorry for the double post, just wanted to clarify since I'm sure many people are on Verizon in similar scenarios.

8. The Robot Cow macrumors 6502

The Robot Cow

Here's how i switched phones. just temporarily suspend your service and reenable it with the phone you want. You will probably need a new sim card tho since it'll initially be activated on the extra line.

9. bkribbs macrumors 65816

I need to know about the SIM card, anyone know? Does the iPhone come with a SIM if its an upgrade from a dumb phone, and then can that SIM be transferred to a different number that the phone will be used on?

10. StevenS2k5 thread starter macrumors newbie

When I have upgraded dumb phones before, they always come with a new SIM for that number. However, I have always had my own SIM to switch into the new phone.

I believe by calling VZW, or going into the store, they can switch the account info on the SIM card to a different number. If I recall correctly, this process took about a day to activate fully. But I may be wrong since I was not apart of the iPhone buyer last year(or ever).
    If someone else has a definitive answer, please feel free to correct or verify my statement .

11. bkribbs macrumors 65816

Its going to be a pain if it has to be done in store. Can I activate it without the SIM and just not have LTE until I can activate it? The closest apple store is, well not close.

12. StevenS2k5 thread starter macrumors newbie

With LTE phones you must have an active SIM in it for any mobile network to work. There is no way to just activate it on CDMA. Is there a Verizon store you could go to? Where are you planning on getting the phone that they wouldn't be able to do this for you?

From my experiences, when getting a new Verizon phone, the phone is activated when you purchase it (slightly different scenario if you order online). Then you can call Verizon to have them switch the number on the SIM card to your actual number OR try to do it from the account manager on their site. Both should be reasonably helpful and quick.

Like I mentioned before, I do not know if there is going to be a delay for when the SIM card is activated with your number. Wait for someone else to jump in with that information.

----------

I see you are ordering online from above. You are going to need to activate the phone on the upgraded phones number (included SIM but still requires an easy activation) so Verizon knows the subsidized phone was given to the correct person. Next, you will call Verizon and have them switch your number to the SIM card and reactivate the dumb phone. The customer service people on the phone are usually very helpful about this. If you don't want to deal with this all over the phone, going into a Verizon store is always very easy.

13. bkribbs macrumors 65816

There's a place an hour away but I have to take a bus to get there and its just very inconvenient, especially if something comes up that night that I need to do, which I won't know until that weekend. I'm planning on ordering it from apple online so it is mailed to me, but it will be using another person's upgrade on my account.

So is my only way to do this do you think to order it using his upgrade, receive it, and take it to a verizon store ASAP? Or you're saying it can be done from my house?

14. StevenS2k5 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have never done this online but here is my best guess at what to do based on my Verizon account options.

Order device. It will come with a SIM card and instructions. Activate the device following the instructions given with the order under the other persons number. Once it is activated, log into your Verizon account online if you are not already. Click the new iPhone in the account overview (it should be listed on the other persons number). Click on Manage Device. Then click on Activate or Switch Device. Follow the on screen instructions for the "Switch Deice" block. There is an area to switch between two device on your account. Do this following their instructions and your two numbers are switched. Now, your phone number should be reflected on the new iPhone and the other persons number will be on your "old" phone. Now reactivate the dumb phone using the same procedure. Click on the phone with the number you want it on. Choose activate line. Fill out appropriate information. The new $30 per month data plan should drop as soon as you activate the dumb phone but I usually call or look at my plan online to make sure.

I hope this was helpful

15. bkribbs macrumors 65816

From what I've seen you cannot do this as a result of the sim card.

I called verizon to just be 100% sure, and as long as the guy knows what he's talking about, I order it as an upgrade for the line that has an upgrade, then when I get it, I call them and tell them that I would like to activate it on my line instead of his, so that his SIM hopefully won't have his number associated with it.

The potential problems:

1- he works for verizon and could easily be wrong, but he sounded like he knew what he was talking about

2- uh verizon... on iphone release day plus two days... somehow I think they'll be busy.

16. StevenS2k5 thread starter macrumors newbie

You mentioned the Apple store is far away. What about a Verizon store? I talked to a customer service rep today and they told me it is best to go into a store or call on the phone because online it could bump you off of unlimited and talking to someone would help to avoid that.

17. bkribbs macrumors 65816

Where I live, I have to go 45 minutes to get to anything bigger then a grocery store haha.

Don't have unlimited anyways, so I'm not worried about that. Just need to use an upgrade that's not mine because I have a year left on mine.

18. StevenS2k5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh hahaha things are MUCH easier than.

When order through the Verizon site you can select "Transfer Upgrade" and choose your number. Order phone. The new phone comes and it can be activated under your number no problem. Since you are not trying to keep unlimited, switching upgrades in that manner is no big deal.

19. djn4eva macrumors regular

When adding a line at the Apple store for Verizon, will they switch the 4s on my current line with the 5s on the new line?

20. StevenS2k5 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not sure about adding a line at the Apple store. You could always switch them yourself when you get home or stop by a Verizon store on your way home. They are usually near malls anyway.

You should take a look at the other threads showing you don't save that much by adding a line vs. buying full price. It probably makes most sense for people who have dumb phones on the account that are being used or if you can't afford the cost upfront. I personally fall into both of those categories haha

21. djn4eva macrumors regular

Well I will be giving the 4s to my fiancé but I want to switch my number to the 5s. Can that be done the same time I purchase the phone? Also i didn't want to purchase full price because I need a new line soon anyway. Am I going about it the best way?

22. StevenS2k5 thread starter macrumors newbie

I honestly do not know if they will be able to do that at the Apple store. I have no experience with an Apple store. The best advice I can give you is to call Verizon customer service when you get home. I have always had good luck with them in the past solving my problems quickly and easily. Sometimes there is just a little wait. It wouldn't hurt to ask when you get the phone.
    If you want to have everything planned out ahead of time, just give your Apple store a call tomorrow. They will have more definitive answer than I can give you.

23. djn4eva macrumors regular

I'll be calling both Verizon and the apple store to be sure then. Cool!

24. bkribbs macrumors 65816

I think I'm using the apple store app to buy it.

If I do it on the verizon site, I enter my phone number and then it comes up?

Process seems VERY easy on the apple store app

25. StevenS2k5 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've never bought from the Apple app since I have never owned an iPhone. I have only purchased many Verizon phones. I would try your luck with the Apple app. I do not know how transferring upgrades through non Verizon direct sales. Let me know how it goes!