Verizon Upgrade - Keeping my Unlimted Plan - HELP!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tlsullivan, Sep 14, 2012.

1. tlsullivan macrumors newbie

I confirmed this method with a Verizon Rep. before I went to bed. Now I am in the middle of upgrading a dumb line that is due however I am at the point where I pick the 2 GB data plan.

There is a section called Data packages with a 2 GB Option.
    Then there is a section called Smartphone Data Package with a 2 GB Option.

Which do I choose to keep my unlimited plan as I upgrade a dumb phone?

If I decline warranty coverage for $9.99? Can I bring the phone to Apple to buy Apple Care?

Why would I have to "select" visual voice mail? It seems to have the radio button selected, so i will keep that there.

Thanks!!!

2. tlsullivan thread starter macrumors newbie

I found out you just selected the first 2 GB data package.

3. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

4. Ozy macrumors regular

Ozy

I called VZW yesterday and they told me that the Unlimited plan was not able to be transferred from the iPhone 4/4S to the iPhone 5. I guess this was their indirect way of not making a stink of Facetime over Cellular. I guess everyone got screwed this time. :mad:

5. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

I am trying to buy it at full retail price and still don't have the option to chose existing plan

6. tlsullivan, Sep 14, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012

tlsullivan thread starter macrumors newbie

There is no selection for unlimited.

When I logged into my Verizon Account, all three of my phones are eligible for upgrade. Droid X and two dumb phones. I have a family share plan of 550 minutes and never go over. Droid X is on the Unlimited Data Plan.

Verizon representative that I spoke to at 11 PM on the 13th told me (and I read it here on the forums as well in several threads) to upgrade one of the dumb phones on the plan. When the phone comes in, call Verizon and switch the iPhone 5 to the Droid X line and drop the 2GB data plan on the dumb phone's line. My unlimited data stays in tact and everyone keeps their line. I have to do this by October 7th which is the 2 year date of having my Droid X.

If your contract is not up, then this won't work and you'll have to pay full price when the phone is available in a Verizon store for the iPhone 5 in order to keep your unlimited data plan.

The new Share Everything Plan is great for families that all have smartphones. But for a 1 Smartphone family it would be a $60 a month price increase for me or thereabouts. I never use more than 1 GB of data a month. I dunno, maybe that will change for me with LTE.

This is working for me in this case because I have a grandfathered family plan with at least 1 dumb phone on it.

Check out this Loophole threads:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=15669928&posted=1#post15669928

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1439872

7. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

Stores do not sell Iphones or any other phones at full retail price

8. tlsullivan thread starter macrumors newbie

Well someone, somewhere will be purchasing at the non subsidized price.

:eek: