Verizon Upgrade Line Changed on Order Confirmation

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jmo1116, Sep 14, 2012.

1. jmo1116 macrumors regular

I preordered the iPhone 5 last night. I had one upgrade available and transferred it to the dumb phone line. I went through the order process and it said I ordered it under the dumb phone line (which is what I want to do). But then I checked the confirmation email and it has a DIFFERENT line on it (not the dumb phone line which I used to order, instead it has the line that I transferred FROM). Is this right? Basically what I'm saying is the line that I used to order the phone doesn't match the line on the confirmation email. Is this going to mess up the unlimited data I was trying to keep by using the dumb phone line to upgrade?

2. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Same situation here. I wouldn't sweat it though. My guess is that they just mean to say you used the upgrade from that line to order the phone, not necessarily that the phone is for that line.

Verizon's systems aren't as polished as Apple's and it shows in these situations with high-volumes.

3. jmo1116 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok just checking. Because I know for a FACT I chose the dumbphone line to ensure that I keep unlimited data.

4. jmo1116 thread starter macrumors regular

Is there any way to know that you kept unlimited data using this method? I guess not until we have the phone and take it into the store...I'm just hoping they dont try to screw something up

5. sinarayc, Sep 14, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2012

sinarayc macrumors newbie

I have this same problem. During preorder, transferred upgrade from one line to mine, and order confirmation webpage showed it successfully for my line. But in the email confirmation, it showed the line that I took the upgrade from. It worried me a little, so i sent an email to Verizon. This is the response i got:

I sent them a response with a screen shot of the order confirmation webpage as proof. I hope this was a system error or that is an easily solved problem. Will post their answer

UPDATE: Just got a response, here it is:

That is a relief

6. MCRunning macrumors 6502

Same thing happened to me. When I got my confirmation email it showed "DATA PACKAGE 2GB/$30" on the line I wanted to keep unlimited. I had transferred the upgrade line to a dumb phone line.

I'm hoping I can go to the store and fix it. I called this morning to cancel that order so I can reorder and the lady told me you can't cancel a pre order. If this isn't the case I will just return the phone to get my upgrade back.

7. tooRiski macrumors newbie

same thing happend to me, just got off the phone with verizon and was told that it was my line that got upgraded which I wanted to keep unlimited data on. so I was told that when I receive the phone to just call and activate it on the other line and my line would keep unlimited data and the other line would go down to 2GB a month. once that is done I will call back later to switch the iphone 5 to my line.
    also kept a screenshot of the confirmation page just in case.

8. schouser macrumors newbie

I'm in the same boat, too, and also have a screenshot confirmation. So one must call Customer Support to activate the phone? I'm new to iPhones, but I know they don't have a battery to look under to find the MEID#. Will I be able to turn on the iPhone and access the MEID# without activating it?

9. Poeticashes macrumors member

This also happened to me. Followed the same procedures--took a screenshot and everything--just incase.

I was told one of two things would work:

-Switching the MEID number to the "dumb" phone line by calling customer service
    -Going into the store and activating an LTE SIM card and swapping it with the one that's in the phone.

Until you turn that phone on (and essentially activate it) you haven't agreed to the new terms and conditions yet. So, whatever you do, don't turn it on until you have everything sorted out appropriately.

10. bigjeep127 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, I've been lurking on these forums for a while and decided to sign up just to let y'all know not to sweat this. I had the EXACT same issue happen this morning when I ordered.

I currently have 2 iPhones with unlimited data and two dumb phones with no data. I have 2 upgrades available (1 iPhone and 1 dumb phone). I transferred 1 iPhone upgrade to a dumb phone line so that I could keep my unlimited data. I also upgraded the 1 dumb phone available to upgrade (looking to get 2 iPhone 5's in place of the dumb phones). The confirmation page showed it correct on the web but my email confirmation showed the iPhone line (the one I stole the upgrade FROM) plus the 1 dumb phone with the upgrade available as the ones being upgraded, not the 2 dumb phones at it should have been.

I called Verizon and the first person said my iPhone line would be upgraded and I had to cancel or I would lose my unlimited data. I couldn't believe this, so I then talked to someone else who seemed absolutely 100% more knowledgeable about everything. I told him how I was concerned about losing my unlimited data. He said don't worry, the way the email shows it is the only way they can show it in their system. The email confirmation simply shows the phone numbers that were available to upgrade (the one you stole the upgrade from). I really pressed him on this and told him how I wanted to keep my unlimited data at all costs. This guy absolutely convinced me that I am okay. This is the kicker though, he said make sure that when you get your iPhone 5 in the mail, DO NOT TURN IT ON AND LET IT SELF ACTIVATE. Call Verizon (and find someone who knows what they're doing) or take it to the store and tell them what you want to do. He said as long as you do the INITIAL activation on the correct line (dumb phone), then you'll keep your unlimited data. Like I said, this guy was very knowledgeable and the first person I spoke to was NOT, she didn't even understand what I was telling her had happened. So rest easy, it seems like we're all in the same boat with our confirmation emails not matching what we selected. Just remember to talk to Verizon before turning those new phones on. Good luck!

11. Poeticashes macrumors member

Not bad for a first post ;)

12. bigjeep127 macrumors newbie

Haha, thanks. I've spent a little too much time reading about all of this the last few days. I actually had the manager at my local Verizon store ask me yesterday if I worked in the industry and I said no. It's a shame what we're having to go through just to try and keep this unlimited data.

13. schouser macrumors newbie

This is the part that's got me confused. So, you called Verizon and asked what to do... and they said to call Verizon? This seems recursive. :p

14. MCRunning macrumors 6502

Anybody successful in keep unlimited data if this happened to them?

15. Jtludwig macrumors 6502

Did this work out for folks? Thanks