Verizon upgrade - lost unlimited and paid full price

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PunchNPie81, Sep 22, 2012.

1. PunchNPie81 macrumors newbie

I paid full price for my iPhone 5 to keep unlimited yesterday. I received a txt stating I was close to using up my preallocated data this morning, logged into account and they had moved me to a 2gb plan. After talking to verizon they put in a feature request to have it added back in the next 3-5 days and that it was a glitch on their part.

The upgrade was from iphone 4 to iphone 5. You may want to verify on your account it didnt change.

2. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

did you order it online ? If you did then you have only yourself to blame since it listed your features in your order confirmation

3. PunchNPie81 thread starter macrumors newbie

I ordered it off the apple site, it said i had unlimited data on the apple site. Verizon admitted on the phone call this was a mistake on their part and did a feature request to add it back on.

4. imeth macrumors regular

Not his fault for a bad #1 company that can't even surf & talk running him out of unlimited.

5. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

To get features like that back they submitted a request to the former price plan team and you will be waiting at least a week before you hear back from them

6. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

Yeah heard of others not paying attention and losing unlimited. Another guy paid one month's bill b/c he didn't go near his 2gb but then next month he noticed but it was too late since he already paid one bill.

Anyway, I have surf and talk at the same time on Verizon... Galaxy s3 though haha

7. DesertSilver macrumors 6502

I had this issue also. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=15816207

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

:rolleyes: That's a cute argument and all but you can surf and talk on VZW but not with the iPhone. You can do it on the Nexus for sure.

OP, if its a glitch I assume they intend to fix it, right?

9. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Unfortunately I think they'll be many people who will lose their unlimited data because of technicalities or doing the loophole wrong.

10. btye1 macrumors newbie

I was told the same exact thing, and I also upgraded from the iphone 4 to 5. Did you order yours thru verizon or apple?

11. Beezzy macrumors 6502

Too bad me and a co worker did Speed Tests from the same server at the same place and the Nexus only got 9-11Mbps download and my iPhone 5 got 22-26 mbps download speeds.

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

But the guy's argument was that VZW doesn't do surf/talk at the same time ... so yeah.

13. CyBeRino macrumors 6502a

How the hell did you use almost 2GB in only three days?

14. bogatyr macrumors 65816

Verizon's network supports talk and surf on both 3G and their LTE. The phone has to implement it. This has existed for something like 3 years now. Pretty much every LTE phone supports this since the Thunderbolt - however Apple chose to not add a third antenna to support this and has publicly stated it. This falls on Apple, not Verizon.

----------

On a phone, anything over 8-10Mbps is going to be wasted unless you're tethering. Even 8-10 is probably a bit over the top.

15. sangreal06 macrumors member

Happened to my friend as well. A phone call to Verizon resolved the issue for him too

16. DesertSilver macrumors 6502

Although 2GB in a few days is not that difficult to do if you try, the usage gets compiled from the beginning of the billing cycle. For instance, I was about 10 days into my billing cycle when I activated the i5, and used about 1.5 GB up to that point. Once I activated, Verizon "erroneously" moved me to the 2GB plan and notified me I had used at least 50% of my data allowance for the month.

17. CatsTide macrumors 6502

They tried to screw me too at the store level. Changed me to 2gb,just happened to be checking my account online the next day and caught it. called the store and they said that was the way it worked blah blah blah...had them transfer me to corporate and I had it changed back.

18. CyBeRino macrumors 6502a

Ah, I see. They don't start counting from when you 'get' the plan, but rather count from the beginning of the month as if you had the plan already. Stinky.

(Though even then, 2GB is insane for a mobile device. I use my phone all the time and I barely break 500MB.)

19. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Yup. I would not be surprised to see it get worse the next few years.

"Would you like to keep or unkeep your kept data plan which was kept but we want to be unkept in case of being kept or not kept for unlimited data plans which are now unkept?"

20. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

you must be on meth.

21. btye1 macrumors newbie

so are you guys that had this problem saying that verizon already moved you back to your unlimited plan? If thats the case I need to call them back because they told me it was going to take some days to get it fixed.

22. JBryan84 macrumors regular

Preordered on Apple App and showed I would keep my unlimited data buying at full price. Checked the night of the 21st after activation and MyVerizon showed I had changed my data plan to 2gb a month for $30. Called Verizon immediately, they apologized and switched me back to my grandfathered unlimited data at $29.99 a month. Just call Verizon, they will change it.

23. pure3d2 macrumors 6502

How to avoid this problem

It was posted by someone else in another thread, but I'll paraphrase.

Step 1) Purchase iPhone 5 at full price.
    Step 2) Do NOT power on the iPhone 5.
    Step 3) Log into your Verizon Wireless account via their website.
    Step 4) Click on My Verizon > Activate/switch a device.
    Step 5) Follow the on screen directions to enter your IMEI number.

Step 6) You will get prompted that you'll have changes to your plan--you're going from 3G to LTE.

Enter the ICCID number (20 digits) located on the back of your iPhone 5 box or on the SIM card. I took mine out to verify that it matched the number on the box.

When you see a list of data plans, it should automatically select the $29.99 unlimited web and email plan. Proceed to the next step. At the very end, it will tell you to power on your phone.

This is the only time when you should be powering up your iPhone 5 for the very first time.

I followed these steps and things went without a hitch. I did call a CSR to have them verify that I still had it in case there was a disconnect between what I saw and what they saw.

24. DesertSilver macrumors 6502

Immediately after getting off the phone with a Verizon rep, my online account showed I was back on unlimited data.

This is great info, but unfortunately many people will not see these instructions until they're already dealing with this issue.

25. btye1 macrumors newbie

thanks for everyone's help