Verizon upgrade question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tardman91, Sep 30, 2012.

1. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

My mom wants to add an iPhone to my dad and hers family plan. My dad already has an iPhone with the 2gb plan and my mom has a dumb phone. They would switch over to a share everything plan with 4gb of data most likely. The problem is they're not eligible for an upgrade until May 2013. Would Verizon be willing to work with them to get my mom into an iPhone (and a new 2 year contract) before she's eligible for her upgrade, since they would be spending a significant amount more each month, or are they just jerks like that? My dad wouldn't be trying to get a new phone out of it. He's happy with his for now. Figured I'd ask here and see if anyone had a similar situation before I went to Verizon and was given the runaround.

2. willmtaylor, Sep 30, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2012

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Tard,
    Not that I'm an adamant VZW advocate, but I'm not sure what necessitates the loaded language.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but to answer your question, if anyone isn't eligible for an upgrade, they won't be given subsidized pricing on an iPhone, period. VZW is flexible with Droid smartphones, but not iPhones. There's no "runaround" to it.

Subsidized pricing is provided by companies in exchange for 2 years of service, so, as I've said before, I'm not sure how a customer expecting another heavily-subsidized phone in less than 2 years qualifies as jerkery.

Whatever; my 2 cents.

3. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

Nope. They are not going to give her an early upgrade. She agreed to a two year contract and they will expect her to complete it. As it get closer to renewal time they may be a bit more flexible but they certainly aren't going to do it six months out.

4. tardman91 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tardman91

Well the fact that they're flexible with Droids and not iPhones is kind of jerky right there. Do they do early upgrades or something like that, or are they going to want $650 for the phone?
    I remember the days I could get one year contracts and just pay $50 more up front for the phone. I loved getting a new phone each year.