Verizon Upgrade Thread.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by souvlakii, Sep 12, 2012.

1. souvlakii macrumors newbie

I'll start, perhaps it would be helpful to keep all of the Verizon upgrade questions in one thread.

Purchased the 4s at launch for $299 with 2 year contract. Am I eligible to purchase the 5 at $299, or did my original purchase mean that I have to keep my 4s for 2 years. I'm an upgrade noob. Thanks all.

2. HeyGreggie macrumors 65816

HeyGreggie

If you're out of contract... you're paying full retail. It's that simple.

are typical full retail prices for the three models.

3. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

you will have to buy it outright for $650+ also by paying that price you get to keep unlimited data

4. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

There you go

5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

You might get it for a partially subsidized price. What did Verizon say when you called them?

6. souvlakii thread starter macrumors newbie

i havent called them yet...i might try to do a pop-in at a retail store later today...

7. HeyGreggie macrumors 65816

HeyGreggie

Dude.. why waste your time. Call Verizon Customer Service. You're going to get LAUGHED at walking into Verizon Wireless the day of the announcement trying to pry the same information you could google... or call on the 1800 number.

:rolleyes:

8. 3rd Rock, Sep 12, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2012

3rd Rock macrumors 6502

Early termination fee applies to what is left of the contract you have if you wish to pay it, and you can get another contract for the verizon subsidy price, and another two year contract. BUT..........

Just got back from Verizon Store, and they informed me that I can get the iphone 5 for a new contract with new number, and pay off the ETF of my old phone that has another 1 year on contract. Or (If I want to keep the same phone number) go to AT&T, port my old number to them, cancel the verizon contract with ETF's than cancel AT&T, go to verizon and start a new contract with same old phone number. Big hassle if I want to keep my old phone number. Verizon told me that they don't openly promote this but its doable. For me, I will just get the iphone 5, start a new contract with new number, than cancel the old contract with old phone number, pay the ETF. Not much for me.

Last suggestion if you have the money, buy the iphone 5 at full price. Not worth it if you keep the same carrier or do not wish to go to a carrier that has a cheaper plan outside of Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, etc

9. webworks415 macrumors 6502

I'm paying the full price for a 32GB. I switched over to Verizon in April 2011 and I'm eligible for a discounted upgrade in November, but I want to keep my unlimited when I transition to 4G, plus I don't want to extend my contract. I'm probably sticking with Verizon anyway, I'm happy with the service

10. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

That's pretty similar to what I am going to do but wait until next year when everyone starts dumping them for the 5S. I just can't justify spending $800 on a phone and I really want to keep my unlimited as well.

11. DaGrandMastah macrumors 6502a

Does anyone know if Verizon will begin the preorder process at the same time? I have to sign up 2 phones on a shared plan for my wife and I and Apple only allwos you to do one phone at a time.

I'm gonna need to either do it online or over the phone. How did it work last year for the 4S?

12. xlost6 macrumors 6502

Here is my situation. I have 4 lines on my Verizon account. I'm the account owner and I have my Mom and two sisters on it also. My sisters have a Droid and iPhone 4. I have an iPhone 4 but my upgrade is in January of 2013. My Mom is using a feature phone, LG Dare. She has an upgrade avaliable. I confirmed with a Verizon rep on my lunch break today and she said that I can transfer my Mom's upgrade to my line which will allow me to get a new phone and keep my plan details (unlimited data). But it would put my Mom in a two year contract. Which is fine. I plan to give her the iPhone 4 if she wants it. And I use the iPhone 5.

13. mastershakess macrumors 6502

I'm think of switching to Verizon, I would join my girlfriend's Verizon account. Do I just get a Verizon iPhone 5 and add it to her account when I get the phone?

14. bhs00 macrumors member

paying full price to keep unlimited data

If we do pay full retail price, will the new phone come with the new sized sim card already in place? And then we call up verizon and have it activated? I am planning on buying the 32GB iphone but I want to make sure that I keep my unlimited as long as I can.

15. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

What's the + mean? Isn't the price of the phone 650?

16. DesertSilver macrumors 6502

Highly unlikely that the new phone would come without a SIM.

And if it's anything like activating a 4G Verizon Android phone, you can just go onto My Verizon and activate the SIM by punching in the numbers on the card; no need to call in.

17. souvlakii thread starter macrumors newbie

so i called verizon and came to the conclusion that i will not try to do an early upgrade....they just don't make it easy....i dont necessarily blame them since i signed the contract.

18. Nebulosity macrumors newbie

I just got off the phone with Verizon, and I asked about doing an early upgrade. My upgrade date is October 8th 2012, and I asked if they were doing any kind of early upgrade for people that are so close. He just told me that part of Verizon's contract with Apple does not allow them to give early upgrades to anyone, and that I would have to wait. I'm pretty sure I was just lied to....

19. souvlakii thread starter macrumors newbie

when i called they told me that they have flexibility to give upgrades 30 days before you are officially due, for what its worth

20. CharlieBrandt09 macrumors 6502

CharlieBrandt09

So here's my situation. My VZW line isn't due for an upgrade until 5/13 (which is odd bc my contract end date is 12/12). But anyway...

My mother wants an iPhone. She has her own plan separate from mine. She wanted to get the new iPhone 5, and then switch with me, taking my 4S and giving me the 5.

Is that possible with switching SIMs even though the 5 uses a different card?

21. tmoney468 macrumors 6502

Got this from 9to5 Mac

22. CoolBradG macrumors regular

You're still forced to choose a new data plan (ie: 2GB for $30) if you upgrade.

23. HeyGreggie macrumors 65816

HeyGreggie

Just got off the horn with Verizon

You can add a new line and keep unlimited data.

You can preoder and add a new line to your existing account at 3:01AM EST and not lose it in a simple way.

GO to My Verizon, Click PRE SELL.. Add the new line. Purchase the iPhone you want on the NEW line.

Find yourself a dummy phone [a non smartphone phone line a Moto Razr or flip so you'l only be charge $9.99 for the extra line instead of $40 for a smartphones typical data package. Then switcht he iphone 5 to your smartphone line

You can keep unlimited data, NOT pay $600,700,849 for a iphone, just at the extra cost of $10 a month.

Only issue is you have a phone with a new two year contract. No biggie..

24. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

But in order for you to add a line, get an iPhone, and get it subsidized, don't you have to sign a data plan for the new line/phone too?

So if adding a line is $10/month and you HAVE to put data on that line, what's the data plan cost?

25. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Don't they just swap you to a share everything plan?