Verizon users can you use netflix fine on 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aliensarecool, Mar 30, 2012.

1. aliensarecool macrumors 6502a

aliensarecool

Wirelessly posted

It'd really come in handy for cardio at te gym

2. Generik777 macrumors regular

Generik777

3. aliensarecool thread starter macrumors 6502a

aliensarecool

4. Generik777 macrumors regular

Generik777

I have never experienced any lag or pauses while using netflix over Verizon 3G. HBOgo however experiences lag and pauses in a few places I've been that have poor reception, netflix seems to do a better job at adjusting for your network speed in my experiences.

5. Shanekarpi251 macrumors member

I've never experienced lag over 3G yet but video quality is blurry however using wifi on Netflix has amazing video quality!

6. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I watch videos on Hulu via Verizon 3G and I've never had any lags. I know it's not Netflix, but it's all the same, IMO.

7. RolandNights macrumors 6502a

I've noticed the same. The reception in my gym is meh, but it just gets blurry, is all. I use Netflix while I'm doing cardio, too!:D

8. aliensarecool thread starter macrumors 6502a

aliensarecool

how much is that? same material? any pros/cons vs netflix?

9. andyx3x macrumors 65816

10. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Hulu is okay, it's mostly for TV shows. If you watch more movies, I'd stick with Netflix. The good thing about Hulu is that it only costs about seven dollars a month.

11. aliensarecool thread starter macrumors 6502a

aliensarecool

thanks for takin the time to respond verizoners. curious why mine sucks

12. xnickitynickx macrumors regular

xnickitynickx

Obviously many factor go into the quality. Since a lot of gyms are big metal buildings, the signal may have trouble getting to/from the phone.

That being said, I normally have good experiences with mine. Usually it looks pretty good, maybe a little pixelated in a store for instance

13. taedouni macrumors 65816

Honestly it doesn't matter if other Verizon users can watch Netflix smoothly on their 3G since they are located in different areas. If you're in an area that has 3G speeds of around 1.3-5Mbs then you should be fine. Anything less than .75 Mbs may produce some crappy quality videos.

14. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

There's no lagging or buffering over here, but the quality looks absolutely terrible since Verizon provides very little bandwidth so I don't even think it's worthwhile. Wishing I still had AT&T rather than getting added to a family plan, but LTE should remedy the problem when the new iPhone comes out. AT&T's network on the hand, can stream Netflix videos almost as well as a fast wi-fi connection.

15. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

I hope you have enough money to pay for the huge phone bill you're about to get after streaming Netflix a few times.

16. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

My wife and I stream a netflix movie or watch hulu+ shows at the bay every week on date nights on my iPad through my Verizon 4G LTE mifi... and I do stream here and there during the month... and never gone over 6 gigs of data. I've never payed any overage costs... but I did come close with March Madness was going on.:eek:

As for the OP's question. Netflix streams fine for me over Verizon's 3G, but sometimes it's very pixelated. I can't say that it doesn't lag... because it does sometimes. Verizon's 3G for me... can be slow and unusable once in great while... but when I have a 4G LTE signal... the picture is fantastic.

17. terraphantm macrumors 68040

One of the few advantages AT&T has. The Netflix quality is basically the same as what I'd get over my wifi connection