Verizon, what phone?

TK2K

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 4, 2006
I have a iphone 3g and I have to switch to Verizon because of my new geographic location, and I'm wondering what phone I should get.

What I need, need, is something with a full calendar at least as good as the iphone that will sync with my mac, and an email program that is at least comparable to the iphone one. I know I won't get the great games or the great web browser, but those are luxuries IMO, and the only hardcore nececaties I need are Email and iCal Syncing (or Google Cal syncing as I have a copy of BusySync).
I'm kinda opposed to a Blackberry but I've heard mixed things about the HTCs and Droids as well. Any advice?

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
Blackberry released there desktop manger for mac a few months ago and it works great for syncing with ical and address book. I agree the browser blows, so I use opera mini

TK2K

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 4, 2006
Blackberry released there desktop manger for mac a few months ago and it works great for syncing with ical and address book. I agree the browser blows, so I use opera mini
Another concern for me is battery life, as my iphone would struggle to make it through 16 hours which is about the length I need it for

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I just saw a Droid Eris (a Verizon person camps out in our cafeteria sometimes, since we have a corporate discount with them). It seems pretty nice. It seems to me like it will be quite nice when it ultimately gets Android 2.x...

But if battery life is really important to you, BB's are the way to go... outstanding battery life with relatively robust usage profiles compared to anything else I've seen. With everything else, iPhone included, it's because of how much you use it, at least in part. If you play with all the fun stuff on a Droid or Droid Eris the same thing is going to happen....

TK2K

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 4, 2006
My friend has a DROID he'll let me take a look at, we'll see how that goes. Thanks for the advice

Wotan31

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2008
Skip the cell phone. Get yourself a Ham Radio license and communicate that way. The Postal Service is also a reliable option. :apple: