Verizon's fees and charges...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Andrew83Ga, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Andrew83Ga macrumors regular

wow, maybe I'm late to the party and this is old news, but my monthly plan is $60 for verizon, but with all their fees and surcharges, etc...I'm paying $169 total this month! How can that be right?? I'm a new customer, maybe there are activation charges the first couple of months? Even that seems stupid to me, but I'll take that over this being a monthly issue...Otherwise, see ya later with an ETF, and hello again to straighttalk.

2. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

I'm paying about 25.5% in taxes and fee's from Verizon. Old days are gone forever. :(

Activating charges will be included on first month, plus when you started the service they will figure a partial months $ as well, and tag it with the current month. Next month you should see a figure around $75.00 if you live in Florida. That is what I pay for Calls/Data $60.00

3. Andrew83Ga thread starter macrumors regular

ok maybe i was premature, 51 of that is from activation/the last week of september's prorated bill. Either way, charging $40 for "smartphone access" is...well good for you verizon for getting away with that. I should charge people who sit on my couch "seat access" and "glass fees" if they want some water.

4. leenak macrumors 68020

I'm an existing customer but it looks like Verizon billed me for the next month as well as last month so my bill was $200.

5. TwistedPain macrumors member

What you ran into Is that you're using the share everything plan from Verizon. 60 dollars for the base plan + 40 dollars for your iPhone. Single lines are extremely expensive on Verizon.

6. vbtwo31984 macrumors regular

There are no Verizon plans for $60.
    The cheapest Verizon plan with a smartphone is $90 ($50 for 1gb data + $40 per smartphone).
    What you probably have is the 2gb data plan for $60 + $40 per smartphone so it's $100.

7. foxnews1 macrumors 6502

I got 2 IP5 with 1GB data. my first month bill is $217 ($19% corp disc off $50).

$50 data + $40 iphone + $40 iphone + 2x$35 activation = $200 + tax/fee.

because of iphone, I let this outrageous charges upon me. wirless carriers are in a high profile margin, and there is little competition between them. AT&T and Verizon is pretty much price fixing together.

8. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

The $40 smartphone access is your unlimited talk and text.

9. evilrt macrumors regular

evilrt

10. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

This is why I stick with AT&T. I am on a single line and it would cost me more money to switch to Verizon. Not to mention I see all the ridiculous charges my parents get with them. I pay $90 a month for 450 mins, unlimited texting with unlimited mobile to mobile, and 3GB of data. On Verizon I would be forced to pick the share everything and it would cost me $110 a month for unlimited talk, text, and 4GB data with hotspot. But then you also add their fees. At least on AT&T know every month I will have around $4-6 dollars in taxes.

11. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Be a responsible adult and do the calculations yourself before spending your money. You can't complain about the cost of your meal if you don't look at the prices of the food you're ordering.

Everyone pays taxes, fees, etc., so just add on ~20% to whatever your charges are. These are not new things; they're on every carrier and have been for some time now.

The really astounding part is how someone (read: you) would leave a carrier, sign a 2-year contract, drop hundreds on a new phone, and threaten to leave & pay an ETF b/c your 1st month's bill wasn't what you expected (despite not having done your homework).

[/rant] :)

12. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

Share plans have unlimited talk and text and pay for tiered data.

13. SR45, Sep 30, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2012

SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Yes there is.....Below is what I have [Verizon or AT&T]

To sign up for a Nationwide 65 Plus Plan, visit a Verizon Wireless store, or call us at 1-800-922-0204 (these plans are not available online and are subject to eligibility requirements). AT&T has them online to select

Attached Files:

14. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Uh....don't you have to be 65 or older to qualify?

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

16. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Yes it does. If your lucky and not do some stupid stuff, you may reach 65+ someday like me and get a few goodies... Not many, but some ;)

The reply that I replied to, said there were no $60 plans out there and there are.....

17. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

Not true you can still pay $39.99 for voice and $29.99 for data

18. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Fair enough, but what percentage of MR forum members do you reckon this applies to? :D

19. wellok macrumors 6502

This is what I have. Even with $10 in texts it's 80 before tax.

20. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Saw that data/phone plan just the other day going to the Apple store way. So there is a way to get a plan that is not too expensive for individuals and close to 60 bucks ($69.99) as the other poster said there were no $60 plans.... :)

Attached Files:

21. SocalMark macrumors member

22. Nabooly macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

I love how they charge the activation charge. So they want you to pay $35 to pay them $XXX every month for the next two years.

I always used to get the activation charge waived, not sure if they still buckle when you ask them to waive it.

23. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Most new customers can get Activation charge waived; most renewing customers cannot get upgrade charge waived.

24. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Ah, me and my roommate would be paying about 110 with fees/taxes under AT&T for two phones (that's not including activation fees, I don't count one time fees). ANd that would be for 3 GBs each where we would have to split 1 GB for both of us under the shared plans. We would be paying 130 under the share plans but nice thing about AT&T? You don't have to go to a shared plan :p (and we got to keep our unlimited and I don't use facetime even near enough to justify paying that much extra per month just to be able to use it.... oh, and get way less data than I need. I'd already be using up more than my share of data on the share plan if we paid for the cheapest one and it's only been a week or so since I got my phone).

So, there is some difference and AT&T is definitely cheaper for our situation (but that's cause it is more customizable for what we need. We don't need unlimited text or voice cause we get more voice minutes than we use under our small voice plan and if we text we use imessage or just pay the per text fee cause it's so rare with imessage and the rest of our family friends having iphones that it's cheaper to pay per text than have a plan).

The share plans are great for some people, but they are a lot less customizable so if you actually figure in what you really need, they could easily be a rip off.

25. old-wiz macrumors G3

I have an iPhone 4S on Verizon carried from employer, and my monthly feee including 2GB data and fees is about $ 53.00