Verizon's single line plan: only available directly from Verizon?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Derek87, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Derek87 macrumors 6502

so, from what i have been able to gather, Verizon's promotional single line plan ($60 for 2gb data/unlimited voice/text) is only available from Verizon. there is also a suggestion that one can switch from the "share plan" to it.

this leaves me in a bit of a quandary as to how to proceed on launch day or for web ordering an iPhone 6, assuming the long proposed timetable holds true (Sept 9 announce, Sept 19 release):

1. order from Apple with share everything plan, and then switch to single line plan before Sept 30 (when promotion will supposedly end).

2. order from Verizon and hopefully single line plan will be available to get phone near release day.

choice 2 seems like the obvious one, but i have little experience buying and iPhone from Verizon (ok, nil). i've ordered iPhones from AT&T before and that was a poor choice due to their more limited stock and longer delivery window. i'd much prefer to order from Apple, yet would want to make sure i can secure the promotional single line plan before the offer expires (again, rumored) on Sept 30.

does anyone out there have experience with ordering a previous iPhone directly from Verizon? (web based because i'm not willing to stand in line on release day to try to secure one at a Verizon store)

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The last iPhone I ordered, granted it was the 4S, was ordered from Verizon and I got mine when people weren't getting theirs from Apple. So in other words, I wouldn't hesitate dealing with them again. That is about the nicest thing I can and have said about Verizon. ;)

As for the plans, if it is not offered by Apple then you need to go to Verizon. Can you get the phone on a shared plan and switch without consequence?

3. Derek87 thread starter macrumors 6502

i just got off of a chat with Verizon (so take this with a grain of salt):

the rep told me one could not switch and that from her understanding, one could only get the single line plan with a new phone. i pointed out to her the webpage saying that existing customers could switch by calling a 800 number. she agreed that this was there, but from her understanding and training, this was not possible with the new $60 plan.

but thanks for your recommendation and endorsement of potentially ordering directly from Verizon on launch day (or thereabouts). that's somewhat encouraging :)

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Well, about that $60 plan. I had to finally just give up unlimited data to get unlimited talk. My needs changed and thus I was changing my plan 15 days into my cycle to a plan that was well over $100 to prevent overages. Knowing it is hugely possible that I'll leave verizon, there was little love loss losing unlimited. However, the plan I was bumped down to was not the $60 one. I was told that was one I could have if I bought a new phone today. I was unwilling to enter into another contract (this was last month) on a phone that was about to be replaced with a new version (iPhone 6). Therefore, I was told I could get that $60/month plan when I got a new phone. I did this over the phone and again, everything Verizon tells me has to be taken with a grain of salt because stories change daily it seems.

I would call them and see and if they do say you can, have them document it on your account, wait a day, call back and ask them to summarize what was said the other day based on account notes. If it is not what you knew it to be, repeat the process. This is actually how I kept my unlimited plan even after they weren't allowing them with upgrades.

5. Derek87 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the reality check. the only thing i have going for me in trying to swap the plan initially if i ordered from apple would be that i have 14 days to cancel. so they would have motivation to try and keep me.

that being said, i like to avoid hassles if i know they are likely to occur. if i go to Verizon, i may very well just bite the bullet and try to order directly from them at launch. i'm still waffling on this decision (currently on AT&T with a very good grandfathered plan, but may be willing to pay a few more bucks a month to improve my call reliability in a few circumstances i encounter regularly like phone calls in certain portions of my building at work which currently only have Verizon repeaters operational)

6. josephd macrumors member

I was able to switch my plan, without getting a new phone. The Rep is misinformed.

7. Derek87 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for sharing: but phone call? online chat?

8. josephd, Aug 27, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2014

josephd macrumors member

Verizon's single line plan: only available directly from Verizon?

I had to call when I tried to do it online.