version on new iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by elan22, Apr 11, 2012.

1. elan22 macrumors newbie

I want to buy a new unlocked iphone 4s from the apple store in the US. Anyone know what version the phone would come with? I will only buy it if I can jailbreak the phone so if it comes with 5.1 I have a problem.
    Anyone here buy a phone recently and can share what version it came loaded with?
    Thank.

2. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

Maybe try calling the store your going to go to.

3. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

It's a bit of a luck of the draw. If you get one with 5.1, then you'll have to return it. Just make sure to keep the receipt and everything and I'm sure an Apple Employee would be happy to help you.

4. Shadowbech, Apr 12, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2012

Shadowbech macrumors 68040

It can be 5.0.1 or 5.1, as was mention it is really a luck of the draw here. When you purchase an unlocked iphone, it can either come 5.0.1 or 5.1 depending on which apple store you go and what is in their inventory. If they still have any stock left that we received before 3/9/12- 3/17/12, it's likely that it will be 5.0.1. However, because Apple receives shipment daily (except Sundays), the chances that of getting a 5.0.1 is slim as day goes by.

5.1 was released on 3/9/12 (a month ago). on 4/8/12 I went in and purchased an unlocked iphone from the apple store, it came with 5.0.1. Actually I purchased an unlocked iphone on 4/6/12 but because of yellow tint and light bleeding, I went back to the apple store to return/exchange it. So I ended up exchanging for a brand new unlocked iPhone. Both of them came with 5.0.1.

Oh not to mention the unlocked iphone that I purchased on 4/8/12 was produced on Week 6 (February).

Personally I would visit this site, it is pretty accurate.

http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html/

If I'm right, you can type in your serial number without having to open the box and still in it's wrap, type in the serial number, hit enter and it will tell information about that device, when it was produced, where it was produced, etc.

Name: iPhone 4S
    ModelCode: iphone_4S
    Group1: iPhone
    Group2:
    Generation: 6
    Machine Model: iPhone4,1
    Model introduced: 2011
    Production year: 2012
    Production week: 6 (February)
    introduced test: GOED
    CPU speed: 800MHz
    Family name: Become a pro user to see this information. (sorry)
    Screen size: 3.5 inch
    Screen resolution: 960x640 pixels
    Colour: White
    Capacity: 32GB
    Factory: DN (China, Chengdu - Foxconn)