Versiontracker on crack?

Rajj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 29, 2002
32° 44' N 117° 10' W
This don't happen all the time...but when I try to download some things of of version tracker I get this (see image below) what is this suff and how can I get around it?:confused: :mad: :confused:

Attachments

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Sorry to dbl post, but...

At the download screen it starts your download automatically, but there is also a link to start the download, that's what you right click:

Attachments

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
In answer to the "what is this stuff" part of your question, it is the program you are trying to download. The problem is that your web browser is displaying the content instead of saving it to a disk file. The content of a program is a binary file, and trying to interpret it as text produces all the funny characters.

I think the problem occurs because versiontracker (or, in general any web server) is returning the wrong Content-Type (also called MIME type) in the HTTP header. The web server is saying "here comes your file, which is of type text/plain", when it should have said "here comes your file, which is of type application/octet-stream" (or some other non-displayable data format).

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Originally posted by edesignuk

Just a very quick photoshop, hense the crappy arrow :p
You do know the line tool in Photoshop has an arrowhead option, right? ;)

P.S. This has never happened to me with versiontracker. Then again, I've always used IE, so maybe that's got something to do with it...

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Originally posted by Doctor Q
In answer to the "what is this stuff" part of your question, it is the program you are trying to download. The problem is that your web browser is displaying the content instead of saving it to a disk file. The content of a program is a binary file, and trying to interpret it as text produces all the funny characters.

I think the problem occurs because versiontracker (or, in general any web server) is returning the wrong Content-Type (also called MIME type) in the HTTP header. The web server is saying "here comes your file, which is of type text/plain", when it should have said "here comes your file, which is of type application/octet-stream" (or some other non-displayable data format).
Yeah, it is probably that and not version tracker being on crack :D:D:D.