Vertex 3 120GB vs. 240GB vs. 2x 120GB for Photography

Discussion in 'iMac' started by nochnia, Jul 17, 2011.

1. nochnia macrumors member

I'm going to fetch a i7 27" 2011 iMac.
    As other users already did, I'll replace the standard 1 TB HDD with an Vertex 3 SSD. Currently I use a 120GB Revodrive in my PC System and it's not even 50% used...

I don't think the 240GB Vertex 3 is a good option, because it's more expensive and slower then 2 x 120GB Vertex 3 Raid 0. But I have no clue what to do with the space at all? And spending 400€+ for the SSD isn't that few money...

I would prefer to just go with the 120GB Vertex 3, but I don't want to recognize later that I should have taken 2... or the 240GB Version...

All of my data (itunes library, pictures, and lightroom is currently on my data hdd). Does it make sense to take some of that data onto the ssd for photography needs, especially lightroom and photoshop?!

thanks in advance
    greets

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Having your current work files in SSD would definitely speed up Photoshop and Lightroom a bit. Remember that you can always add a second SSD so as it sounds like you don't need 240GB right now, I think there is no need to buy 240GB now. Buy 120GB and then add another one later on if needed.

3. nochnia thread starter macrumors member

Ok. Sounds rational. I hope I don't regret it later. I'll let the replace job do some apple guy. So I can't just include one more SSD on myself...

4. nochnia thread starter macrumors member

I finally ordered my 27" i7 iMac :cool:
    I actually have to decide this now... I read a lot of reviews and the 240GB Version of the Vertex 3 seems apparently 20% faster overall versus the 120GB Version...

The 240GB Version would also support me placing the current picture set and the lightroom catalog on the ssd too... After the development of the set I could move it to the storage hdd...

damn it. I don't know which one to take... Since I'm going to put it into the imac myself I don't want to open it in the next couple of months again...

Guys. Any help is appreciated

5. eoren1 macrumors 6502

You may want to read this article in full before jumping on an SSD specifically for photography apps:
    http://www.computer-darkroom.com/blog/will-an-ssd-improve-adobe-lightroom-performance/

I was ready to buy one (to the point that I went with a Mac Mini instead of an iMac for the savings to put towards it). In the end, decided SSD wouldn't offer me much in the way of real-world advantages. Returning the mini and getting an iMac now...

6. nochnia thread starter macrumors member

Since I'm not only editing pictures on this iMac I'm going to use it for normal office and internet work too. Currently I'm using a Revodrive in my PC, so I'll definitely don't use a system without ssd anymore ;)... It's too snappy

But my question is, if the 240GB Version is it worth? Else I'm going with the 120GB Version...

7. nochnia thread starter macrumors member

Guys. I know I have to decide it on my own but I need a little more pros and cons... Please help me out. I have to decide it today...

120GB vs. 240GB Vertex 3 :(

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Well, getting the 240GB won't leave you with any regrets. 120GB might. If you have the $, go with the 240GB, will be easier.

9. nochnia thread starter macrumors member

Yeah. Thinking once again about it. I decided for the 240GB over the 120GB. But what about the 240GB vs. 240GB Max IOPS ? Anyone using it yet

In the tests there are different results... In some the MAX is a lot faster in others it's even slower...

10. kasakka macrumors 68000

You most likely won't see any real world difference between the drives in use even though one is faster in tests.

120 GB is plenty for OSX and programs. Leave your media on a bigger traditional drive.

I also hope that you're aware of the issues people have been having with the OCZ Vertex/Agility/Solid 3 drives (check OCZ forums). This week I got an Agility 3 for my Windows machine and it has required several firmware updates to work (with the fw that came with the drive I couldn't even install Windows 7 without it jamming) and even then my computer will occasionally crash on sleep. By comparison the Intel X25-M G2 in my MBP has never given me a single problem.

11. nochnia thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Hellhammer for your support.
    I just ordered the standard 240GB Vertex 3 :)