Vertical line on brand new 13" retina MBP (photo attached)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zen, Feb 4, 2014.

1. zen macrumors 68000

zen

I've been using my new 13" rMBP for a month now, and have noticed a single thin vertical line running down the right-hand side of the display:

[​IMG]

It doesn't show up in a screenshot, so it's on the display itself.

Restarting does not remove the line.

I did notice it a couple of weeks ago, but I thought it was part of the page design of a website I was browsing, but it's visible on everything, all the time, and runs from the top of the screen to the bottom.

I assume this is a case of sending it back to where I bought the computer from?

2. Meister Suspended

Meister

You answered your own question ...

3. zen thread starter macrumors 68000

zen

I guess I did. How annoying...

4. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Weird... is this the only issue you have with your screen? Be prepared to get image retention or non-uniform yellowing or even backlight bleeding. Don't know what issue is better in your case... I think image retention is the less annoying issue that affects rMBPs.

5. Meister Suspended

Meister

I have none of these issues on my rmbp and as far as ive heard they are more common with 15"

6. zen thread starter macrumors 68000

zen

Yep, that's the only problem. My screen is uniform in colour with no yellowing, no backlight bleeding, and has no image retention whatsoever. If it wasn't for the vertical line, this machine would be perfect.

7. Meister Suspended

Meister

I have yet to see a rmbp 13" with any of the defects listed above.
    A vertical line of what seems to be broken pixels is inacceptable imo.

My original ipad has such extreme image retention that i can read the previous page when watching a movie.
    I should really make a video to show this. :D

8. zen thread starter macrumors 68000

zen

Yeah. These machines aren't cheap, after all!

I presume "repair" actually means a replacement machine, in which case I'll take a Time Machine snapshot then erase the rMBP to factory settings before I take it in. I called Apple and they told me to take it to my local service centre.

They did suggest an Apple Store, but the appointment times they gave me were pretty bad - however, now I think about it, that would mean an on-the-spot swap for a new machine, right? Might be worth it even if it is inconvenient to get to.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You are correct, they will replace the unit instead of trying to repair it. Also if the likelihood of getting it replaced is high, then I'd suggest wiping the drive, after taking a backup. You'll be giving someone access to your data and not getting the computer back - for peace of mind I would do it