Very cheap iPhone 3G no-contract; €322 in Switzerland

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by moveteam, Jul 2, 2008.

1. moveteam macrumors member

Hi all,

I just checked the Swisscom site, and they offer the iPhone 3G without any subscription.

8 GB: CHF 519 (€322)
    16 GB: CHF 619 (€384)

Although you have to unlock it for use with other European carriers.

http://iphone3g.swisscom.ch/?page=1&lang=en

Isn't that cheap? Or have I misunderstood something?

2. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Eh, it's not CRAZY cheap.
    The no-contract version with AT&T in the US is $599 and $699.

3. moveteam thread starter macrumors member

Which equals to €378 for the 8 GB version. ;)

4. frosse macrumors 6502a

Nice. Do you know if Swisscom offers unlocking for a fee?

5. moveteam thread starter macrumors member

No I don't think, but you can always unlock, when/if the 2.0 final firmware gets unlocked.

I would like to ask some from Switzerland, if it is possible they buy the phone and send it to another European country, or do they have to use the "Liberty Uno" plan?

6. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

They may be saving UK£40 or so from the leaked O2 price but no six months of free unlimited data - in fact data rates look mean for the Swiss.

7. kamiboy macrumors 6502

The 2.0 hack unlock is useless to me, I want a legit unlocked iPhone this time. I wish some country offered a true unlocked 3G iPhone.

8. Moria macrumors regular

France and Germany both offered an unlocked one before because of laws in their country, did they not? I would think they'll have to again.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Italy has an unlocked iPhone too, the 16GB one is €659...

10. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

In Germany there was a (very expensive) unlocked iPhone, but only for a short period of time. The legal issues that lead to this were soon resolved and then they didn't offer it anymore. I don't think there will be one this time.

11. cyclotron451 macrumors regular

cyclotron451

Italy iPhone rates from Vodafone

Vodafone italia has 8GB prices from
    €49 (+ 24 x €99/month contract) = 600MB 3G data within Italy , and 900 minutes to Italian numbers and 900 SMS'es
    €99 (+ 24 x €79/month contract) = 600MB 3G data within Italy , and unlimited minutes to vodaphone numbers, 250 to Italian numbers and 250 SMS'es
    €199 (+ 24 x €59/month contract) = 600MB 3G data within Italy , and 400 minutes to Italian numbers and 400 SMS'es
    with an extra 'Daily Travel Plan' you are allowed to use 5MB of data per day when abroad, there are extra 15cts here and there for calls above the limits or per answerphone mailbox usage.

with an EXISTING vodafone PAYG contract
    the 8GB is €499, 16GB is €569
    this doesn't include data which is an extra at 150MB per week charged at €3 per week (its called "Vodafone Pack for iPhone" - also available for an old CC based contract charged at €10 per month with the 600MB limit)

Vodafone finally offers the 8GB at €199 with a €9 per month easy finance plan, provided one of the 3 contracts is also in force, but this available only from 20th July.

there is NO mention of locked/unlocked status, but every single phone I've bought in Italy over the last 15 years has been unlocked by default... just the local market expectations. No idea if/how locked the Vodafone PAYG iPhone 3G will be. There is NO MENTION of any WiFi cloud connectivity, just 3G at up to 7megabits/sec , although in my region that bit of the UMTS network is currently unavailable.

TIM Telecom Italia Mobile have similar rates : contract from €0 up-front, no idea yet about the back charges. the PAYG costs are the same as Vodafone the 8GB is €499, 16GB is €569.
    D:apple:vid

12. zeasar macrumors regular

zeasar

Rite... maybe i'd need to plan a short trip to Switzerland in the very near future...

13. skyton macrumors 6502

its not a bad price
    but the tax/duties of getting it out of Switzerland might be a bit of a problem...

14. zeasar macrumors regular

zeasar

How are they gona tax me if I have it opened and uses it like a used cell phone when I go through the airport?

15. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

Its not that cheap.

16. Yuppi macrumors regular

Yuppi

What are the alternatives? I need an unlocked version because I travel too much around in europe to afford the roaming prices. And the swisscom price is really nice if you compare it to the italian price..
    And, no, unlocking it illegally is not an option for me.

17. phalewhale macrumors 6502a

phalewhale

How would you unlock it illegally???

18. Yuppi macrumors regular

Yuppi

The same way you can unlock it right now. And I bet it involves jailbraking it..

19. phalewhale macrumors 6502a

phalewhale

Dude, it IS NOT illegal...

20. aethelbert macrumors 601

You don't have to use anything with Liberty Uno. You could just buy the phone and take the SIM out if you wanted to. You could most likely take it elsewhere to be used as an unlocked phone on another carrier, assuming that 2.0 will be unlockable.

21. Yuppi macrumors regular

Yuppi

At first it depends on the country. At second it at least is a grey zone.
    And the most important thing for me personally is that depending on the way it is removed, you are jeopardizing your warranty.
    Especially the last point is something that I strongly dislike.

22. kis macrumors 65816

You need to be a permanent resident in Switzerland in order to buy prepaid packages (need to show them your Swiss ID or your residency card when buying and all SIM-cards need to be registered with the authorities - direct backlash from 9-11 where the terrorists used Swisscom prepaid cards to communicate).

Swisscom offers an unlocked version of the iPhone at 999 CHF (about 980 USD) for the 8gb version and 1199 CH (1150 USD) for the 16gb version.

Not so cheap, if you ask me.

kis

23. Yuppi macrumors regular

Yuppi

I think that this information is incorrect. There are many reports on people that claim to have talked to the hotline. And the response usually is, yes you need to show your ID card, but it can be any nationality.
    There are also reports that you only need to show your ID card once you activate your SIM card, which must not be the same point in time as the moment you buy the phone. However I don't think that this will work on the iPhone.
    EDIT: I actually bought a pre-paid card last summer in Switzerland without being permanent resident.

24. kis macrumors 65816

I can assure you, you need to live in Switzerland to legally buy any SIM-card.
    I suppose not all shops will enforce the policy but it's the law.

kis

25. phalewhale macrumors 6502a

phalewhale

Oh, so which country is it illegal in?