Very Confused

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cnercessian, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Cnercessian macrumors newbie

I am usually very knowledgeable about these things but I just realized that my iPhone 5 says 4G not LTE i thought it just says the same thing but is LTE but now i realize that its not the case. I am on Att and I live in Georgia. I spend most of my time in Athens and Atlanta and I have never seen LTE on my phone always 4G.

I am wondering if this is a hardware problem and if i need to switch out my phone. Thanks in Advance

2. Nophix macrumors newbie

3. james92se macrumors 6502a

Are you sure LTE is turned on in settings? Atlanta has LTE for sure so no reason you shouldn't get it there

4. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

I'm in my car right now and I have 4G showing for some time now. There are moments where I see LTE. It is all based on your location but don't be discourage that there is a problem with your iPhone.

5. Nophix macrumors newbie

Looking at current markets, there is no LTE service there. LTE has not been deployed in a significant part of AT&T area. Your phone is fine.

6. Cnercessian thread starter macrumors newbie

Isn' that LTE?

From att website

Attached Files:

7. Cnercessian thread starter macrumors newbie

I meant Athens, GA, sorry maybe some of you misunderstood. I should have stated that.

8. ste1164 macrumors 6502a

ste1164

Is it turned on in settings? Its off by default.

9. Cnercessian thread starter macrumors newbie

Once I realized this I've been trying everything. Its always been on because i thought when it said 4G i assumed it meant LTE. For the past couple hours i've turned LTE on and off, turned off my phone. Also, when i turn off LTE i drop to no cellular data, I don't get 3G or edge.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Do a reset network settings and if still nothing call AT&T to make sure your account is setup for LTE access.

11. Cnercessian thread starter macrumors newbie

I think your right, i Checked my ATT account and i have 2 GB for $25 so i have to switch it to the 2 GB iPhone LTE... for $25. ill delete the post if it works, so stupid of me i just assumed that i would automatically connect to the fastest network available

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Like you said it's not automatic.
    You have to call them and give AT&T your imei number. Then they can update your data plan to an lte one.

13. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

How long have you had your new iPhon?. It took us almost an hour to start receiving an LTE signal.

14. reputationZed macrumors 65816

Not sure if its been mentioned yet but 4G indicates your on a HSPA+ network, not a LTE. Thank AT&T marketing for passing off 3.5G as 4G.

Your best bet is to compare your iPhone with someone else's AT&T LTE smart phone at the same location. If neither of you is showing LTE then chances are the area doesn't yet have LTE. If they get LTE and you don't then it could be a problem with your iPhone (not that likely).

15. czar44 macrumors member

If it makes you feel better, it took me days to figure it out!

16. Cnercessian thread starter macrumors newbie

I've had it since the day it came out :) Ordered it online in the early hours of the morning the first day. I haven't seen another person with an iPhone 5 so i just figured it was LTE. I went to the ATT store and they just switch my plan over in 5 minutes and i got LTE immediately. Soo much faster lol, and i was disappointed when i first got the phone cause it wasnt that much faster data wise. Now im getting (with the speed test app) like 20 download and upload instead of like 7.

Im going to leave this up so if anyone else is as slow as me can figure it out. I feel so stupid.

17. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

AT&T should feel more stupid for not automatically switching people to an LTE plan.

18. dchao, Oct 14, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2012

dchao macrumors 6502a

Sprint has got their fair share of the blame too. Passing off WiMax as 4G. :(

AT&T probably made the complaint to ITU and told them if Sprint was allow to market WiMax as 4G why couldn't we market HSPA+ as 4G too? I think, finally, ITU just gave in to AT&T's bully. Now technically, HSPA+ is in the 4G specs now.

LOL, technically, LTE is not really "true 4G" either.