Very Happy, I Got My MBP. Which Extended Warranty (Best Buy or Apple Care)?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gregpod9, May 26, 2011.

1. gregpod9 macrumors regular

A few weeks ago I bought the highend 21.5" iMac, but I had to return it due to major yellow tint on the screen. Last week, I received the Dell XPS 8300 and today I returned it back to Dell due to major issues with it such as freezing (which is a well known problem over at the Dell forums). After I returned it, I went to Best Buy and bought the base 15" MBP with the special financing plan they have. Now my question is which extended warranty should I get, Best Buy's or AppleCare and why?

So far I enjoy using MAC OS X over Windows 7 and I'm really glad that I made the switch. :D

2. HighSeasCaptain macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

You can't go wrong with the Best Buy warranty. Long story short, I recently got a 2008 15" C2D replaced (it had a catastrophic accident) with a 17" quad with 2 more years of ADH warranty and only had to pay a $300 difference. If that's not an awesome warranty, I don't know what is.

3. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

Does Best Buy's warranty cover defects and damage?

4. mmduluth macrumors regular

I got Best Buys warranty but I got the upgraded version that covers accidental damage. I think it was something like $350ish.

5. HighSeasCaptain macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

It covers all manufacturing defects, however for accidental damage it mostly covers drops and spills. I suggest you read the plan details so you know specifically what is and isn't covered. For example, if you drop it or spill juice on it, you're covered. If it gets run over by a car, you're not.

6. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Bear in mind Best Buys warranty usually stipulates that they have the right to repair before replacement (this is at their discretion and not a bad thing). This means that your device will be sent to their shops and worked on by their techs (which should be Apple trained but might necessarily not be). IT could also take several weeks to repair. If I remember correctly they have a guaranteed 4-6 week turn around. I had this same issue with a vacuum and they wouldn't budge until it hit the month mark and I pushed the issue severely. They then replaced it with like, but I was without for a month. This is just a caveat and not judging, just presenting the possibilities you could be presented with (and Apple is not necessarily any better, but will usually make concessions when things run long).

7. HighSeasCaptain macrumors member

From what Best Buy tells me, all Apple devices are now sent directly to Apple for repair. Don't know how true that is, though.

8. jenzjen macrumors 68000

I use AMEX so always choose AppleCare so I get 4 years of coverage.

9. SAVAGE5 macrumors member

SAVAGE5

They give you extra year?

10. KwanMan macrumors regular

neither

11. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Very insightful

12. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Yes depends on the card, but I've heard other card companies have similar programs where they will cover an additional year themselves.

13. mmduluth macrumors regular

I thought amex only extended the original warranty by 1 year. So if you let the year warranty run out, amex kicks in, but you would still have to buy apple care before that first year is up? right? maybe that doesn't make sense to anyone else. it's hard to get out. :)

14. SAVAGE5 macrumors member

SAVAGE5

15. jenzjen macrumors 68000

We just discussed something similar towards the end of this thread

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1158539

16. mmduluth macrumors regular

Ahh ok that clears that up. Thanks. I tend to use my amex card for most purchases anyways just for the extended warranty and the whole they refund if the merchant isn't willing to refund thing.

17. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

I don't think anyone knows for sure. The reps ini Best Buy told me it went to their depot center in Atlanta. I asked if it was repaired by Apple techs and they said their techs were Apple trained but it was not repaired at an Apple facility. It seems that they will tell the consumer whatever it is they think will insure the sale, rather than find out the information for sure, as this rep added that it was what he had been told.

18. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

One company sells the computer, the other company makes the computer. Who would YOU choose?

19. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

Honestly, it depends on what you're going to be doing with the laptop. If you're in college (or any form of school for that matter) Then I would DEFINITELY recommend the Best Buy Warranty. We threw a party at my house a few weeks back, and water got spilled on my computer. It fried literally everything. However, I had the best buy warranty, and since I had accidental damage protection, they gave me the full retail value of the computer ($1000) to go towards a new one. Now I'm sitting on my couch happily typing on my new MacBook Pro :D

20. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

To get the one that offers accident coverage ?

Geez, that was easy. :D

21. Resqu2 macrumors 6502a

Research the best buy warranty before you get that, I have heard nothing good about it, on the other hand Apple Care will take care of it without a fight.