Very high latency on MBP with Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Spanky Deluxe, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I don't know whether to post this here or elsewhere.

A month or so ago I replaced our old router with a Time Capsule. Long story short, if I try to browse the internet with my MacBook Pro on it it becomes painfully unusable. My fiancée's MacBook Air and our iPhones don't seem to have this problem and our two wired Mac Minis and wired Mac Pro don't have the problem either. My MacBook Pro doesn't have this problem when connected to the wifi network at work either. I also have a second network in my house - shared from one of my Mac Minis which is wired in in the attic (g network) and don't have the problem when connected to that.

Doing a speedtest check on my Mac Pro I get 34Mb/8Mb with a 14ms ping but on the MacBook Pro I get 18Mb/8Mb with a 196ms ping.

Right now the only thing I can think of is that the airport extreme in my MacBook Pro has a faulty 'n' part.

Any suggestions?

2. miata macrumors 6502

In the Airport Utility you can change the AirPort/Wireless/Radio Mode pull down menu to n-only. You can try a some of the other options as well to see if anything changes.

3. rpectol macrumors newbie

Same issue here...

Wireless, whether it be 802.11a/b/g/n, wide or narrow channels, provides horrible latency and sluggish performance, regardless of the channel selected or on automatic selection. The, "magic" combination that gives me problems seems to be my brand new Macbook Pro i5 15'' and my 3-month old 1TB Time Capsule over wireless. Wired has no issues at all. My iMac works flawlessly over wireless with the Time Capsule, as does my Dell netbook running Linux. My Macbook Pro works flawlessly with my Cisco WRT610n wireless router on the same network. It also works fine on various other wireless networks. So nothing seems to point to one or the other, just that the particular combo of Macbook Pro and Time Capsule doesn't work together! I've played with just about every network option I can think of, both on the Macbook Pro and Time Capsule, including enable/disable IPv6, etc. Anyway, I wonder if anyone has any other suggestions for me to try? Thanks in advance.