Very laggy iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by virginblue4, Apr 30, 2012.

1. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Hello everyone,

Long story short, passed my old iPhone 4 onto my girlfriend as I replaced it with an iPhone 4S. It was fine for the first 2-3 months, but for the last month or so it has become extremely laggy but not at all times.

For example, often when she slides to unlock her phone it will freeze in place for 5-10 seconds. A lot of games she has are very very slow and lag really badly, along with just scrolling up and down web pages. I thought maybe I had become used to my 4S but my friend also has an iPhone 4 (he has had his longer) and his isn't doing this.

I have restored it twice and it is on 5.1.

I'm thinking I should take it to Apple to see if they offer a replacement, but it doesn't always happen. I'd say once or twice a week for the entire day it happens but then it may possibly be fine for a week or so. Should I are it back to apple? I just don't want to take it in and then not be able to replicate the problem.

It's still covered under AppleCare. Also (not that this should matter, but it is already a replacement phone.

Thanks for your help :)

2. appleamg macrumors newbie

3. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

This, and make sure NOT to restore from any backups. Set it up as a completely new phone and use it for a day. It may suck to have all of the settings wipe, but it would let you know if a completely fresh restore is going to help.

4. virginblue4 thread starter macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Sorry I didn't make it clear enough, I did do a clean restore both times, with success for around 3-4 days and then back to being laggy :(

5. SurferMan macrumors 65816

If a clean restore doesn't work, it's hardware related.

6. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

So you set it up as a completely new phone?

7. DodgeV83 macrumors 6502a

I agree with the lord, if restoring as a completely new phone doesn't work, just bring it to the Apple Store. Try and take a video of it acting weirdly if you can. That way if it's normal at the store, you can show them what it was doing.

I've gotten a phone replaced under similar conditions, even after I couldn't reproduce the problem in front of them.