VERY large (>1TB) iTunes library management (Do I have to abandon auto mgt)?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Scott-n-Houston, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Scott-n-Houston macrumors 6502a

I have a lot of video files (TV & Movie) and store on a 1.5 TB drive. I have a 2 TB drive that I use for Time Machine backups and it currently backs up my iTunes library.

I'm now hitting some storage problems. My Time Machine drive is running out of space as my iTunes folder keeps growing.

In iTunes, I use these options to have it automatically managed by iTunes:

Keep iTunes Music Folder Organized
    and
    Copy Files to iTunes music folder when adding to library

I like these options, but now am wondering if I can keep using them.

My assumption is that I'm going to have to keep my movie & tv files on another drive and do a manual backup of those files (no longer using time machine), but in order to do that, will I then have to manually manage all my music files too?

I've done searches and have found 100's of posts on library management, but none addressed this.

How are those with exceptionally large iTunes libraries managing? Do you have to uncheck the above options? Other thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

Every Time Machine drive will fill up and stay that way. That is wht TM does. It keeps old version of files and files that were deleted and so on. But it will delete the oldest of these old file when it needs space to store newer files. So don't worry the TM is getting full. It will delete what it can to make room. As long as the TM drive is about 1.5 times larger than the total of all the drives it is backing up you should be fine

3. Scott-n-Houston thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's my problem. My time machine drive is 2 TB. My iTunes folder alone is getting to be well over 1 TB and when you add in all else being backed up, my TM drive will not be nearly big enough. So, I was planning on moving my video files onto another drive that will not be backed up by TM, however, I'll manually just mirror that drive to another drive for backup.

When I do this, that will now mean I can't have iTunes manage my files... right? That's a big part of my question.

4. dpaulesc macrumors newbie

This is one of the main reasons I bought a Drobo as the main storage for primary content (connected to a Mac Mini server). TM backup can then be second Drobo. This option allows you to expand by adding additional drives as needed. I prefer this option to that of manually spanning backups across multiple drives. With the way drives are getting cheaper, it makes for a great solution.