Very long loading times when running at 4K

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by alanwaston, Dec 25, 2016.

1. alanwaston, Dec 25, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2017

alanwaston Suspended

For the laugh i decided to see if my laptop could play some games at 4k. I tried Batman AA, witcher 3 and a heavily modded version of skyrim.

Skyrim and Batman were playable (skyrim, playable-ish). Witcher 3....eh not so much.

However one odd thing that came up in all 3 games is that loading times got really really long (3-4 minutes): especially when moving from one area to another (moving from winterhold to just outside or leaving a building in batman AA for example).

I have since switched back to 1080P and all is grand again. Has anyone else noticed this though?

I'm guessing it has something to do with the framerate of the game during the loading screen but i couldnt find any solid details on it.

Specs:

CPU: core i7 4700MQ,
    Ram: 16GB.
    GPU: 780m (clearly not a 4K gaming beast :p)
    SSD: 960GB crucial M500
    I guess im really just wondering if this is a known phenomon when playing games at a really high resolution.
    Relax: http://freeringtonesfree.mobi, don't wanna know ringtone, panda marimba remix

2. Garrod macrumors regular

Garrod

How much RAM does the GPU have? Is it 4GB? If so it'd be nowhere near enough to cope with 4K gaming - it's not enough memory to keep all the textures that are needed for gaming at that resolution.