Very Nice Excerpt from Bill Moyers New Book

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SMM, May 18, 2008.

1. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I found this article on AlterNet. It is from Bill Moyers new book Moyers on Democracy.

It is worth a read and does not require further comment from me.

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Wow.

No, it doesn't.

You can see why so many people are jumping onto the Obama bandwagon. Regardless of the fact that Obama can't cure all these ills by himself, it's obvious that people are reaching to him like a drowning man flailing for help.

I think the last paragraph of the article is particularly disheartening. It says the even decent, dedicated journalists find themselves stymied by their corporate bosses. Not exactly news, but put this bluntly, it's depressing to think that some of the people who are in the best position to help stem this deterioration are being kept from doing just that.

I need a drink.

3. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

In April 2007, Bill did an in-depth documentary named, Buying the War. While it covered, in detail, how we became involved in Iraq, the central theme was how the MSM became "a willing participant" in supporting the administrations case for war. It was very sobering to watch.

One would expect to hear this from FOX, but even they outdid themselves. On several occasions, BillO is shown actually threatening members of the media, if they write, or discuss on TV, anything negative about the war. He said, " ... we will find you and you will be spotlighted".

Ever since that show aired, Bill Moyers has kept the MSM's lack of professional journalism in full view. I have noted that the NYT and WaPo have began to 'clean up their act'. However, many have not seemingly made any attempt at all.