very quick question about buying unlocked 5S T-Mobile via Apple website

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by insoc, Sep 18, 2013.

1. insoc macrumors member

Hello. I don't live in the US so I cannot go to a Apple Store. I see Apple will be selling unlocked and contract free 5S cells but buying it for T-Mobile.

The small print on apple.com website says this: If you choose T-Mobile, your iPhone comes with a T-Mobile SIM card already installed. You will need to contact T-Mobile or visit an Apple Retail Store to activate your iPhone.

Question: If I buy an unlocked and contract free 5S from T-Mobile, even though said phone is to be unlocked and contract free would I always need to contact T-Mobile or visit a Apple store? I thought it was just a matter of REMOVING the T-Mobile sim and inserting my sim and all set.

Any insights? Thank you!!!

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If the phone is unlocked then the phone is unlocked. You should be able to swap sims.

3. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

4. CEmajr macrumors 601

Correct. If you have no need for T-Mobile then just toss the sim card. Then just put whatever sim card you want in there.

The only reason they sell them with T-Mobile sim cards is to give T-Mobile customers a sim card when they purchase their phone without having to go to a T-Mobile store to get one.

5. skimcpip macrumors regular

The same small print also says this: If you buy iPhone for T-Mobile, it will arrive with a nano-SIM card already installed that you can activate by visiting an Apple Retail Store or a T-Mobile store or by calling T-Mobile. When you travel internationally, you can use a nano-SIM card for iPhone 5s from a local GSM carrier. The unlocked iPhone 5s model is A1533 (GSM). For details on LTE support, see www.apple.com/iphone/LTE.

6. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

This. Just get the sim free one.

7. insoc thread starter macrumors member

I agree BUT apple.com won't be selling sim free 5S iPhones, only unlocked ones with the T-Mobile sim included.

But from reading the other posts, I understand that it would just be a matter of removing the T-Mobile sim and inserting my sim.

I guess the fine print saying that customer should visit the apple store or T-Mobile store to activate the iPhone is only applicable if I would like to contract the service with T-Mobile, right?

8. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

yes. the sim is included for convenience only, because Apple doesn't activate phones for tmobile, so they just give you a sim and tell you to call tmobile to get your shiny new toy going. but if you dont want tmobile, take out the sim and be done with it.