iPhone VERY slow downloading from Cydia while on WiFi. (LTE is very fast though)

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by lukejc1, Feb 25, 2013.

1. lukejc1 macrumors 6502

I'm having an issue with downloading from Cydia. Large files like themes take a very long time to download. Sometimes up to 10 minutes for a 30MB file.

This is only an issue while on my WiFi (5 Ghtz network) and downloading from LTE is blazing fast.

I thought this was an issue with my internet connection but a speed test shows download speeds of more than 40mbps over WiFi. And it only seems to be Cydia (and Theme It) that is very slow.

Anybody have a possible explanation?

2. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I've been experiencing the same thing. It takes FOREVER to download themes and I'm pretty sure it wasn't this slow on my 4S. I know themes are big but there is definitely something wrong. I've only tried on wifi.

3. kwiky macrumors member

4. lukejc1 thread starter macrumors 6502

The theme I'm trying to get now is ayecon, which is on the Big Boss repo.

5. lukejc1 thread starter macrumors 6502

The same thing is happening with Jaku also. It takes forever on my wifi but downloads very fast over LTE.

Jaku is in ZodTTD repo.

6. Adutrumque macrumors 65816

Adutrumque

Actually , biteSMS took me like forever on WiFi, iPhone 5 6.1.2. Really strange actually. Never happened before.
    BigBoss.

7. Jakeblu macrumors regular

Cydia is painfully slow for me too. Cant test the LTE because its not available at my home address.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Same here. It took like 5 minutes to download where other times its just 10 seconds.
    Weird...

9. TG1 macrumors 6502a

TG1

Have seen the same thing for certain packages. Weird.

10. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

11. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

It might be the way repos were filtering or throttling connections to prevent things from crashing.

Not to mention, the average LTE connection when you have solid service, likely exceeds average home WiFi speeds.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I don't know about the second part.
    I got a 25mb fios connection and the 6mb bitesms took forever.
    So maybe something else.

13. lukejc1 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have a pretty fast internet connection. My speedtest app shows download speeds of 54mbps while LTE shows speeds of only 15mbps.

Yet somehow downloading from repos is so much faster on LTE.

14. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Wow that's horrible for LTE!

Sorry :eek:

15. lukejc1 thread starter macrumors 6502

I just tried again and it was more like 28. Pretty good but still only about half the speed of my internet connection.

16. headcase macrumors 6502

headcase

People occasionally have also complained of a similar problem with downloading apps from iTunes (fast on cellular, slow on WiFi), while their other data pulls down very quickly. Some folks have noticed they needed to reset the DNS settings of their home router, if they previously were using a custom DNS service instead of the default DNS addresses that automatically come from your service provider (eg. using 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for Google DNS, instead of leaving it as "default" in your home router).

One way to verify if the speed problem on your iPhone is unique to Cydia, is to install a speed test app like this one and see what speeds and latency (ping times) you're getting on LTE vs WiFi:
    https://itunes.apple.com/app/id300704847

17. co.ag.2005 macrumors 65816

co.ag.2005

Thanks for the thread OP, I thought I was the only one experiencing this. The ayecon update today took forever over wifi. When I download things at work (LTE), it does seem faster.

18. Enjoylife1788 macrumors 6502a

Guys,

As someone mentioned, there was an issue with App Store apps too. And there are hundreds of pages with wifi issues.

One solution that worked for me and I have tried almost all is that. Change the DNS to google's. that is 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

Also, as weird as it may sound, disable the cellular data while being on wifi. It actually solves the issue. I am en engineer and I know that technically it shouldn't matter. But I believed it after I tried. So guys give it a shot. And let me know.

19. Eclipse538 macrumors regular

I use DNS on my 3GS thru google etc, but my gf doesn't, and she is experiencing extraordinary slow downloads, while I am getting very fast (15-20 mbs wifi) downloads still. Is this my fault with my DNS set up on my phone.

Should I just reset the router?

20. Skizzy macrumors regular

Skizzy

21. Skizzy macrumors regular

Skizzy

How do I change the DNS settings? I had someone from Time Warner come today and everything with the modem and router seem fine, yet my iPhone still is slow as hell with downloads. I'm getting network timeouts all the time also.

4g works fine.

22. lukejc1 thread starter macrumors 6502

You can log in to your router settings and change them. Right now they are probably set to automatic. Which means they are set by your ISP. There should be an option there for you to set your own.

Sorry I couldn't be more specific but I don't which router you have.

23. Skizzy, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013

Skizzy macrumors regular

Skizzy

I have a netgear router/modem combo with Time Warner. I don't know how to get into the router settings.

EDIT: I think I figured it out.

24. Skizzy macrumors regular

Skizzy

I changed the settings to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and nothing changed download wise. =(