Very slow iTunes Cover Flow under Vista with 256mb 8600GT

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by greggoesmac, Jun 20, 2007.

1. greggoesmac macrumors newbie

Hi!
    I recently got my 2,4 ghz MPB (15 inch), and I installed Vista with Bootcamp 1.3. Now iTunes-Cover Flow runs fine under OSX, but under Windows Vista it is painfully slow. Maybe it's related to the adaptive GPU Speeds of the 8600GT, and iTunes can't make use of the full GPU Performance. I already updated to the newest WHQL Forceware drivers, but couldn't notice any improvement. Games run fine (very good in fact, Stalker and Call of Juarez with full details and highest resolution run perfectly smooth). Any help appreciated!:)

2. Darkwax macrumors newbie

What version of Vista did you install? 32 or 64 bit?

3. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

i blame vista. it requires more memory/cpu overhead than win xp pro. i had vista installed for about 1 week before uninstalling it. the fans on my macbook were almost always on, and it was much hotter at rest when i was using vista.

4. poke4christ macrumors member

All this is good to know. I was thinking that I'd use bootcamp to throw Vista on my new mac, but now I'll probably just use XP. That is, if I install it at all. Are there any real advantages of Vista over XP?

5. cobravap macrumors regular

itunes runs like crap on all windows for me. It runs perfect for my mac but **** on my vista computer. So i dont think its drivers. My desktop has an x1950gt i think it is more than qualified to handle cover flow.

6. greggoesmac thread starter macrumors newbie

I have the 32bit version of vista. The fans are really much more active when I run vista, and my macbook pro heats up quickly. I just can't believe, if games run fine under vista, that itunes coverflow is too demanding for the hardware.. btw. in the windows display control panel, I can't manually alter the hardware acceleration slider.
    Concerning the advantages of Vista: It has DirectX 10 - this was the only reason I chose to install Vista and not XP.

7. anon010 macrumors newbie

Cover Flow slow: Vista Home Premium (64 bit), 8600GT - FIXED

I have upgraded to the new ForceWare drivers 169.28 beta

http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_ut3_downloads.html

to yield a minor performance improvement in Unreal Tournament 3 BUT side effect - now Cover Flow runs at a speed comparable to XP! =)

I am using iTunes 7.6 as with this release Apple are officially announcing compatiblity for 64 bit Windows (too worried to use iTunes before they did - from the install directory its not 64 bit though)

Quick to blame Vista I didn't believe that the 'Cover Slow' problems could be down to my graphics card/drivers but the beta drivers above appear to have done the trick - try em out.