Very slow LTE on iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ncruzpr, Oct 17, 2012.

1. ncruzpr macrumors newbie

I have an iPhone 5 32 GB and I am with AT&T. In my phone the LTE speeds are very slow, sometimes as slow as less than 1 mb download. The highest I have ever gone is 11 MB. The thing is that my friend has the exact same phone and is also with AT&T and he gets speeds of 20 MB standing next to me, while I get 5 MB. I went to AT&T and replaced my SIM card and have also restored the phone with no changes in performance. On WIFI, everything seems to be fine.

I wanted to know if there is a know issue about LTE anthemas on some iPhones that I don't know off and if its happening to anybody here.

2. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

Could be your LTE antenna, but are you sure you are connected to LTE? It is supposed to say LTE in the top and not 4G.

3. ncruzpr thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, it says LTE on the top. It's really frustrating since I am in Puerto Rico and there are no Apple Stores here, and Apple refuses to ship to PR.

4. richmds macrumors regular

Quite the dilema

5. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

you're positive that his speeds are faster than yours? some speeds can be flukes, like one time it said I was at 15mbps then I retried and it went down to 6. If it bothers you that much then go to ATT and show them the problem.

6. ncruzpr thread starter macrumors newbie

We tried it over 10 times and always he got much higher speeds. I called AT&T and they said that the SIM was not registering the data information back to them, but since it was my second SIM card it was probably the hardware. So yeah, probably some anthena issues in some iPhones.

7. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

get it swapped.

8. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

Does Puerto Rico even have LTE service?

I know when I went there AT&T had 4G HSPDA but that was it. And this was really only in the San Juan area. The rest of the island is roaming.

9. ncruzpr thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes but only with AT&T I think, its in line with what you can expect in the US.

10. ncruzpr thread starter macrumors newbie

Just checking it.

AT&T replaced my phone under the 30 day warranty. Apparently there was an issue with the LTE anthena on the phone, so heads up if you notice anything weird on your phone.