Very slow USB speeds on late 2013 13" rMBP. Need new logic board?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macdaddy1991, Jun 2, 2018.

1. macdaddy1991 macrumors regular

Hello all,

It's been a while since I've been around these parts but I've been having some ongoing issues with my macbook pro that Ive finally decided have gone on long enough. Towards the end up my undergrad, I picked up a late 2013 13" rMPB as my mid 2009 15" MPB had the screen die on it and it just didn't seem cost effective to replace that aging computer. I remember at the beginning of my masters, I spilt a small amount of water on this current mac but had suffered no damage from it, everything continued to work fine. Fast forward to summer of 2016 and I was visiting San Diego for a conference. I brought my rMBP into the bathroom while i was showering. I take some pretty damn hot showers and I think the steam from the shower completely screwed my computer. Halfway through, I remember my music shutting off, and the computer turning off itself. Upon restarting, wifi would not work and the computer was very slow. This has since all resolved and it's more or less as good as new with one caveat, the USB speeds are abysmal. I'm talking like 3-5 MB/s with one of my high end USB sticks compared to 200+ on my desktop. This has been making transferring files almost impossible and extremely frustrating. I'm finally looking to get this fixed but was wondering if anyone has had any similar issues. I'm assuming that I need the entire logic board replaced? I'm hoping that isn't the case so that I can save some money on this repair. I've debated just getting a new rMBP but they've gone way up in price since the touch bar iterations came out. I'll likely wait a couple more years to do a full upgrade.

Thanks in advance

2. Audit13 macrumors 68040

Audit13

Sounds like components inside the Macbook may have started to corrode.

3. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

I suggest you leave the next MacBook (which you'll probably need to buy) OUT of the bathroom... ;)

4. macdaddy1991 thread starter macrumors regular

My thoughts exactly. If this is the case it’s most likely the logic board though correct? I’m hoping that’s worst case scenario. I really dont want to have to buy a new macbook. Waiting for the hexcores to make their way down into the pros until i upgrade so probably another year or two.

Thanks

5. DeanPSN macrumors regular

DeanPSN

Like @Audit13 said, most probably corrosion.
    If you know how to take it apart yourself, take out the logic board, wash it with 99%+ isopropyl alcohol and a toothbrush very well and let it dry properly. In most cases this will sort the problem, no point replacing the board and if you bring it to a repair shop, that's exactly what they will do. (Unless there is something damaged, but considering everything works, I assume nothing serious)

6. macdaddy1991 thread starter macrumors regular

I thought about doing his but figured that the damage was set in since its been a couple years. If there is corrosion going on its likely too far gone at this point to reverse

7. Audit13 macrumors 68040

Audit13

Actually, it may not be too late.

I had a liquid damaged air but I managed to fix the problems after thoroughly cleaning the boards.

8. DeanPSN macrumors regular

DeanPSN

You have nothing to lose.