Very small (7-9" Monitor) With G4 Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rufus247, Nov 23, 2010.

1. rufus247 macrumors member

Howdy,

I am looking for a very small monitor, specifically in the range of 7-9 inches that I can hook up to a Mac Mini. This will be the primary monitor, not a secondary one. I have found some monitors, namely this one:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/DoubleS...lack/1297773.p?id=1218248180148&skuId=1297773

Will this work as a primary monitor? I don't know if it will work considering it is USB only. If it won't work does anyone know of any that will?

I don't have the Mac Mini yet, but I am wanting to get a G4 Mac Mini as it is cheaper. Thanks for your help.

2. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

3. rufus247 thread starter macrumors member

I'm going to put it in my car. I recognize there is no point, but it's what I want to do.

4. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

Let me break the ice by saying I don't know of any offhand, and don't have an answer.

Why not install a 9.7" iPad? One cord to charge, one unit, always there. Instant on, useful apps, one button.

A Mac Mini would require a Keyboard at the very least, if you can Tab yourself around the system, and then a Mouse as well if you want one. Are you going to use it on the dashboard? This is going to be a great "break-into-my-car" flag. At least an iPad can be taken out easily, and actually practically used.

So... Is this going in a Civic? :cool:

5. vistadude macrumors 65816

6. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Check out mimo monitors. They have several 7" to 10" USB driven screens available, both standard and touch screen.

They are compatible with OS X as well.

7. nOw2 macrumors regular

Before embarking on a car PC project, it's worth doing a fair bit of research first.

For a screen, go for a standard VGA/DVI driven unit. I've had good experiences with buying from this company:
    http://cartft.com/catalog/displaymatrix

8. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

Goto mp3car.com

There you will find all kinds of parts for car pcs as well as monitors and a large forum to get knowledge from. I use to have a setup in my Titan a few years ago that did everything from xm radio to navigation and even Topo GPS for outdoor trips.

It was quite a setup and helped me find hundreds of places to fish that most people do not as well as kept me entertained while driving there. If it were not for lack of time, I would have one in my new truck as well.

troutspinner

9. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

They are only compatible with Intel Mac's running OS X

pac