Very Strange Power Problems... is it Hong Kong's Fault?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Vessy, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Vessy macrumors newbie

I've just moved to Hong Kong from California and am having some MBP issues.

I have a 15" MBP and am having the strangest power issues with it. I will charge my battery to 100%, unplug it, and can literally watch the whole battery be drained in about 30 minutes. Today it just turned off when I removed it from the charger. I plugged the charger back in, but the LED light indicating it was charging would not turn on. I went out and bought a brand new charger (UK version since HK uses UK plugs) and it still wouldn't charge. After trying every plug outlet in my apartment (I thought it might be the plugs...) it eventually started charging again. Now I'm afraid to unplug it at all. What the hell is going on?

Had the motherboard **** the bed? If it was a hardware problem, wouldn't it just stop working completely, not fluctuate from being able to charge and not being able to charge? Any input would be greatly appreciated it! Thank you.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. Vessy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I'm tried resetting the SMC. I am just keeping it plugged in for now (I'm too nervous to let it die and not be able to tun it on again...) but I know that it's bad for the battery to just leave it plugged in at all times...

4. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

If worst comes to the worst, there's a third-party Apple service centre in Causeway Bay, opposite the Cinema, near DKNY but closer Victoria Park; can't remember their name.. think it's called Ultimate Mac or something.

There's also one in Tsim Sha Tsui, on Nathan Road and on in Central. There isn't an official Apple store in HK btw.

5. Vessy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info, UltraNeo

I used a similar service last year when I was living in Spain. I was walking in the city when it started pouring and my laptop got wet through my backpack. They ended up replacing the motherboard. However what is different about this scenario is that the battery light was at least blinking to indicate it had no power. Last year when it got wet, the whole machine just went dead - no lights or anything.

For the time being, my computer is working. If I shut it off for the night, do I run the risk of it not booting in the morning?

6. JustMack macrumors member

There's also a place that deals with apple products specifically in Mong Kok. I can't remember where, but it's near the MTR. You turn right as soon as you come out of...exit E, i think it is.
    Sorry, I'm working from memory here but there's definately 2 places in MK that deals with Macs and repairs.