Veterans Day

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by solvs, Nov 13, 2007.

1. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Ok, so Bush decided to go to Texas while Cheney went to Arlington. Not that big of a deal I guess. But looking at the big picture, it seems like we could be doing a better job of taking care of our troops. We all know about things like Walter Reed (and lack of armor for the troops, both vehicle and body, as well as all the others things we've mentioned so many other times) but this caught my eye:

Kennedy, Cleland: Stop Messing with Vets' Jobs

Then I read stories like this:

Marlboro Marine

And this:

CBS News Discovers "Hidden Epidemic" of Military Suicides

Which just break my heart.

Support the troops my ass.

2. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Vertrans (sic) Day? :confused:

I see you're used to typing the word frequently. :rolleyes:

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Because I'm sure you've never made a typo :rolleyes:

[typical neocon]
    He accidentally misspelled "veterans". He doesn't support the troops!!!!!
    [/typical neocon]

4. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Sure, but not ones where only the first two letters are correct. :eek:

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Once again, since you really have nothing to say on the topic, you have to go here instead.

Why not address why your beloved "free market" is failing here? Quite honestly this is disgusting.

6. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Where is the free market failing? Are you saying the ebb and flow of a free market means that it's failing? That a couple setbacks in a skirmish constitute losing a war? That the failings of a few employees means that a government has failed us?

I don't buy it.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

No- apparently, the "free market" has decided that soldier's jobs aren't worth keeping for them when they get back. You know damn well why employers aren't hiring them back or reducing their benefits- because it isn't "cost-effective". But hey- that's just too bad. I guess they should have been smarter and not joined up in the first place. :rolleyes:

8. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Talk about typos. You of course meant to say employers

9. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

The employer is always right. Ask your boss. :cool:

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I should have known that's about all we'd get out of you.

11. johnee macrumors 6502a

johnee

no they're not. enron. (let me put on my cool shades so i look cool when i make a cool response to someone that thinks they're cool by saying (what they think) is cool stuff....) :cool:

12. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

I just watched a news report on this that said one out of four homeless people (not sure if it was talking nationally, or just within the state of CA, or just within LA) is a veteran.

I find that appalling - even taking in mind that there might be several substance abuse problems that lead them to the homelessness, it can't be the case for every single one and even if it were caused by substance abuse, where's the help they need(ed) to get past it?

It is a shame that they return and lose their jobs and benefits and find no help from the country that they served. Especially when Bush signs bills giving 40 billion to the DOD. You think some of that could go to helping the vets.

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You'd think the government would enforce their own laws requiring employers to rehire vets after they've been on active duty. :mad:

14. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

The term cannon fodder is very appropriate here. They may come back alive in greater numbers than ever before, but once they're back, the US government has made it perfectly clear that they're not interested anymore.

I don't doubt that a lot of employers are reluctant to rehire vets because of this. Who wants or needs an employee that has a very short fuse? One who has drinking problems? One who is antisocial?

Is a private company responsible for the emotional well-being of a veteran? Isn't that what the VA is for? Why has this become a problem for the public at large to deal with?

The next decade is going to see a lot of violence committed by Iraq war vets because bushco has failed them horribly.

15. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

OMG! We're in complete agreement again. :eek:

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Well gee Swarmy- you could have said something to indicate that in your first post rather than being snarky about the spelling.

17. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I asked the boss. He says he's often wrong. Funny that. :cool:

If that happens again something bad happens....

like cats and dogs start living together, or the universe explodes.

18. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

Then you agree with my assertions, or no?

Plus, where did I misspell Veterans? Seriously, I don't see it. I'm usually pretty good about spellcheck. Funny too, I thought posts that were nothing but spelling corrections were deleted.

I would say once again you had to go there because you have nothing, but you really have nothing, including that.

19. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

You know, I've been thinking about this and it's actually still kinda bothering me. Even if I did spell Veterans wrong (and I still don't see it) that's a pretty rotten way to debate someone's point. Something that's a pattern with SL. Rather than actually respond to the actual point, we get a lame joke and, as per usual with neocons when they have nothing, we get an attack on their target's patriotism and/or something saying they don't support the troops. This is exactly why I posted it, because I support them. I won't go into detail on what I've done that goes far beyond some yellow sticker on my car because I'm sure it'll fall on deaf ears, but this is exactly why I have such an issue with what's going on.

People like SL claim they support the troops, but when it comes down to it, they're actually just supporting the war. Even at the cost of the actual soldiers themselves. Their lives, their heath, their mental well being. But let me guess, it's not you, so you don't want to pay for it. You know, you see this type of thing happening, the actual soldiers themselves and the toll this is taking on them. You know the people you support are screwing things up. But it hurts your ideology, so you try to change the subject, try to distract. Crack lame jokes at the expense of others patriotism. We would of course prefer honest debate, but since there is no excuse for this, I guess I can't blame you can I. :rolleyes:

Anyone who actually does support the troops should be sickened by this and pissed at the administration for letting it happen. :mad:

20. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

You did have it spelled wrong in the thread title, but a mod fixed it for you ;)

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You should know by now that the only people supporting this war are the people profiting from it. And if you think they care about the lives of our soldiers, you're sadly mistaken.

22. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

The problem with this is that there is poor leadership in the reserve units and many reservists do not even know their rights. The law is very clear about firing anyone on reserve duty. When I took ROTC cadets to field training for one month we made sure they all had a copy of the law and told them to give it to their employer before they left so they did not have any issues when they came back. A lot of this problem could be solved with good leadership within the reserve units and clear communication between the reservists and their employers before the deployment begins. I doubt most of these companies would still be acting in this manner if they were fully aware of the law. Of course a handful probably don't care about the law.

23. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

I thought that still left tags saying it was edited? I last edited it before that, but only to clarify the links. Ah well, I'll be more careful next time I copy and paste, lest I not support the troops. :p

I'm surprised he didn't come back in to brag that it completely invalidates my point. :rolleyes:

I know they don't.

Kinda my problem with them. ;)

That's pretty much it right there.

24. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

It's also on those posters that employers are required to have displayed that have the minimum wage laws , Family Medical Leave Act, and whatnot.