VGA or DVI for full hd monitor

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Nobita, May 18, 2010.

1. Nobita macrumors 6502

I've just ordered a 22" 1920 * 1080 full hd monitor from dell (for my home). My work gives me a mini DP to VGA adapter, but should I buy a mini DP to DVI one for my home? Or would using vga be okay?

My laptop is 2008 macbook and I use it to watch movies, browse and code, so not that intensive..

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i prefer vga but really, having used vga and dvi, I can not tell a difference with any of my monitors. since you have a vga adapter already, id save money and use that in the meantime

3. gatepc macrumors 6502

gatepc

DVI definitely I have a monitor that takes both VGA and DVI and my computer supports both as well I used to use VGA for a long time and then just for the heck of it I tried DVI. There is a noticeable difference image just looks slightly sharper its worth spending the few extra bucks to get a slightly sharper image IMO.

4. Nobita thread starter macrumors 6502

5. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

You can't see much of a difference on a low end LCD. On a higher end LCD like the 24" PVA I have you can see a difference.

I have a Dell Ultrasharp 2407WFP-HC with a 24" widescreen @ 1920x1200. VGA looks a tad off compared to the DVI which looks pristine. Keep in mind though that my LCD is a PVA which is much better than most. Most LCD are TN technology. Although TN is faster than PVA it does not have the detail and colour purity the PVA have so you many not see much of a contrast between the 2 connections.

6. Nobita thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the answer. I think I'll stick to VGA for now then. Mine is a low end LCD and I don't even need it to do high quality video or photo editing. But I'll keep that in mind when I upgrade my hardware in a few years.

Cheers!

7. gatepc macrumors 6502

gatepc

I disagree I was running 1440x900 on a crappy few years old Samsung TN panel and I noticed the difference between VGA and DVI and yes both the VGA and DVI were at the native resolution.

8. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

I have not seen every TN run both connections so maybe with yours that was the case. Maybe also because the resolution is only 1440 vs 1920. I have seen a few of the newer Samsung and Acer TN that do 1920x1080 and I see no difference.

I would say the DVI is all round better as it keeps the display signal 100% digital.

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

....well I disagree and have run monitors on higher resolutions than that with no discernable difference. If there is any difference, it is not a major one

Or maybe my eyes suck, which is probably the case
    I agree 100%

10. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

This.

11. tivoboy macrumors 68030

difference

I can see a difference between VGA and DVI on monitors from 19" 22" and up. It is just SOOO much sharper, onscreen text, motion, etc. Go DVI no question. Get a cable at monoprice.