Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jseeley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2019
Posting this here since everyone keeps saying wherever I post this question it's off topic->

Does anyone have a VGA monitor working with Mojave?

I have a mac pro 5.1 and I got a "flashed" Nvidia GT 640 card (which has metal support) to facilitate an upgrade to Mojave (from High Sierra). With my factory original GT120 card I was using a mini display port to VGA adapter in High Sierra. When I switched over to the GT 640 (still in High Sierra), I switched to using a DVI to VGA adapter (my GT640 has DVI, HDMI & a regular display port) This was working fine, but during the update to Mojave the screen went blank/black. I rebooted a few times and tried reseting the NVRAM, but no joy. Finally I tried hooking up the HDMI connection on the GT640 and that worked! To be clear I can see the boot up process on the DVI to VGA adapter, but once the machine fully boots into Mojave, the DVI port (with the VGA adapter) just goes blank.

Anyone ever come across this case in Mojave? The VGA adapter was just fine in High Sierra (and still works while booting) it seems weird that support for VGA would have been dropped; Does Mojave just not support VGA?

The only thing I could find close to this was->
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8570756

jseeley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2019
Does anyone have a VGA monitor working with Mojave?

FWIW I was able to get VGA output working by using a display port to VGA adapter in mojave. Still not sure why the old DVI to VGA adapter which works during bootup and work in high sierra no longer works, but the display port adapter was an inexpensive solution. ($8)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.