Vice-President Joe Biden returns salute intended for President Obama

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SFStateStudent, Jan 22, 2009.

1. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

All my years in the USMC, I cannot recall a situation where the Vice-President would return or receive a salute, since he is not the Commander-In-Chief of the military. I know recently that veterans are authorized to render a hand-salute to the National Standard while they are in civilian clothes or in uniform; and Joe Biden never served in the military, thereby excluding him from rendering a salute. Protocol may have changed since my leaving the USMC in 1986, but I'm totally unaware of any changes except the October 2008 change...:confused:

2. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

It was probably a mistake. In watching the entire coverage of the inauguration I noticed many times the Obama didn't know when to salute, when not to salute and so on. I guess it's something that they need to learn. I was never in the military so I am not sure what the protocol is.

3. SFStateStudent thread starter macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I hear ya' b/c they both looked a bit awkward, and at times they were busy "jawing" with other people when they should have been taking care of business. I always felt slighted when someone wouldn't return my salute, but I would just keep the salute until the person was well beyond me and then I would bring my saluting hand down. Neither Obama or Biden were members of the military service...

4. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Send them both to bootcamp for a week? :D

Long as they learn ;)

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You can probably imagine they have a million things on their mind, it's not like they intentionally send tens of thousands of people to their death with forgetting to follow the protocal to minute detail.

6. detz macrumors 65816

I have no idea when or how to salute...nor would I ever feel the need to learn.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Well, as long as it's these kinds of minor gaffes and no major disasters or clusters, I'm all for it. :D

PS When I google this topic, this thread is the first thing I find on it... are there any news sources on the OP topic? Not that it's a big deal or anything, I'm just curious. I do find issues of military tradition kind of interesting... :eek:

8. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Right before the start of the parade the Obama's and Biden's were walking down the steps with the Master Sergeant at Arms. When it was time for the President to get in the limo, the Master Sergeant stopped, came to attention and saluted.

Obama turned to him, put his hand on his shoulder, and tried to shake his hand like he always does with people - to which the guy just had to stand there, holding his salute.

Obama realized what was going on, and returned the salute.

It made me smile, just because it seems like Obama thought, "This President thing is going to take some getting used to."

9. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I was reading a piece on a blog somewhere yesterday, I cannot remember where, that was about Obama's sloppy civilian salutes and how to salute properly, with a straight palm and upper arm.

I'll see if I can find it later.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Also I think it's interesting, because for a lot of us who have never given military service, we want very much to respect and honor our soldiers and their traditions, but we just don't know them. So we end up feeling sort of like an American businessman who goes to Tokyo for the first time and doesn't know when to bow and when to shake hands, or a protestant at a Roman Catholic service. :eek:

11. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Or a Catholic their first time at a Latin mass. Seriously, at least most Protestants speak the same language used in most Catholic masses. Plus, there's a LOT more stand/sit/kneel in a latin mass. :eek:

12. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

See until Obama re-did the oath of office yesterday Biden has really been the president, so it's all OK.

13. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

I'm sure that was sarcasm. But truth be known, Obama was still president.

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If English was good enough for Jesus Christ, it's good enough for me. ;)

15. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

My wife and I talked about this on inauguration day. Yeah, if you've been in the military, it's automatic to return a salute. But Obama's going to have to learn it.

Civilians..... :rolleyes:

;)

16. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I heard that at the banquet Obama used his main course spoon instead of the soup spoon.

17. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Impeach 'im!

18. SFStateStudent thread starter macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Probably would help, but it's gonna' take longer than a week. lol

According to the UCMJ (Uniform Code of Military Justice), the failure to salute a senior officer may result in non-judicial punishment and even courts-martial, so I'm certain every Veteran I know or served with, wouldn't be so cavalier about the intentional or non-intentional protocol miscue.

Part of the difficulty with civilians not understanding military protocol/traditions is the lack of availability of military manuals regarding military regulations/protocol/traditions in mainstream reading materials, as well as on the internet. I know with Marine Corps Regulations, they all start with MCR#####; Navy Regulations all start with NR#####; Army Regulations all start with AR##### and Air Force Regulations all start with AFR#####. Though each branch of service has their own set of regulations, any violation of the aforementioned regulations would be addressed via the UCMJ.

That would be an interesting blog BV; I look forward to reading it.

Too funny Andy...:D