Victimized as a child, adult man regresses into infantilism

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Thomas Veil, May 4, 2011.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Okay, it'd be really easy to get flippant about this, but read on and find out how this guy got the way he is.

Is that sad or what?

I guess, barring further information, we don't really know if Mr. Thornton never got the psychological counseling he needed, but from the little information provided in the article, it looks that way.

Like I said, it'd be easy to mock him, but he's not hurting anybody, so whatever. I just think it's sad this is the way he ended up dealing with it.

Hope the abuser is proud of himself.

2. ender land macrumors 6502a

I feel like over the 16 year period people either completely ignored him when he did this or completely enabled him and helped him.

3. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

In life people just cope with things in their own way. If he enjoys life, and he's not harming anyone, I say people should leave him be. :)

4. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Yeah, I know. :eek: They'd leave him be a lot better, though, if the paper hadn't mentioned him by name, nor included the pictures. At least to me, this article is written in such a way that it's geared more toward exploitation than illumination.

At least they did note that this is neither sexual fetishism nor some form of pedophilia. That's something, anyway.

For all we know this gentleman has had extensive psychological treatment and decided for himself he likes this better. He does seem to be coping, after his own fashion. And he does have a very understanding roommate.

5. iliketyla macrumors regular

I'm jelly, bro'. I wanna play like a kid again.

I went to Wal-Mart last night and played with Nerf Guns and bouncy balls. Made me miss being young.

More power to him, live and let live.

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

sorry, his reason to relax makes it all the more weird for me

7. Bonch macrumors 6502

Bonch

Babies should NOT play with power tools. What the hell kind of mom is she? I would paddle her bottom!

[​IMG]

8. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I guess my sympathy is limited on that point. You know what's a good way to avoid that sort of publicity and exploitation? Don't invite camera crews in to your home to film a documentary about you.

9. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

This is waaayyyyy more common than people think and manifests itself in different forms. Sometimes its obvious and people embrace the lifestyle, other times its not and people keep it entirely to themselves. There is an active community of people who get into this for various reasons, including a community of people who want to take care of those who regress in age as parents. Sometimes its sexual, sometimes its not, but it often comes from a similar place and occurs for similar reasons (Childhood trauma is very common, but not entirely universal) I was good friends with a couple who was into this, and they were great people, happy, well adjusted and what not.

I say to each their own. If it makes him happy and allows him to cope and connect with other people perhaps, than more power to him.

10. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

11. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

Probably a healthier lifestyle than this (credits to MIT AI course 6.034):

[​IMG]

Replace the computer with a TV if that's more accurate and give the dude a cheeseburger or TV dinner while you're at it.

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

If he was being breast-fed by his flatmate, I'd be more disgusted.